Its a male!

Charlie

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I posted earlier about this Really big rosie that my wife got for me and I was holding him today and I saw two hooks on his pedipalps.

If I wanted to try and mate him with my female how would I go about this? I dont think I am going to try anything right off the bat but it would be nice to know how.

-Charlie

Are males supposed to get REALLY big? This one is huge and I always thought they would be smaller than the females.

Charlie

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Whats up?

I know somebody knows about this stuff.

You guys avoiding me? I know I put deoderant on today.....

At least I think I did. ;)

-Charlie

Brandon

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Charlie,
Iv breed this species before and all I can suggest you do is put him in. He will know what to do from there. Watch them and if she attacks him have a peice of card board there to brake them appart. One thing I have learned about breeding and this comes with experiance, is that you soon become able to learn the behavior of the tarantulas you are breeding. The first time I ever breed tarantulas I was nervious, but now I put the male in with out hesitation knowing how things will result. This is what I would suggest you do. Put him in sit and watch the show!

Sincerely,

Brandon

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey Charlie.
Well, the first things to consider are that A) he may be past his prime and b) he probably doesn't have much left in him.

If you attempted to pair him up you'd want to supervise very closely. If he's still viable, you probably won't be waiting too long to notice if he's interested in the female. He'll start drumming and advancing toward her etc. If he's not still viable, the possibility of him becoming a meal is greater. If you notice that he seems very restless and paces around a lot, he may still be virile.

Once males mature they don't usually live more than a year or maybe 2 at the most. So, you may have a while left to enjoy him as a pet or you may not. :( (sorry to break it to ya that way but we gotta except it)

Males of some sp. may molt out pretty small and in some sp. they get very long and leggy. Of the two roseas I've had molt out they were both pretty good size as far as legspan goes. They tend to not be very bulky in the abdomen or ceph. though.

If you decide to pair him, feel free to e-mail me for some tips. Or, the Schultz's book or Marshall's book have plenty of good breeding info too. :)

Atrax

Charlie

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wierd!

I put the male in the females cage. It was kinda wierd. Mr and my wife both watched them, the male who is really dopey walked over and started to kinda tap around her legs. She reared up and he put his legs on hers, kinda like he was holding her up.

The whole thing took about 3 minutes. I am noit even sure anything happened. Does it really happen that fast?

My female took a threat posture like I have never seen before and held it for a long time! Even after I took the male out of the cage.

Anyway, I think they mated but I did not know it happened that fast.

-Charlie

Lasiodora

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yep,
with some species mating doesn't last long. It happens pretty fast. If you introduce them to each other again, pay attention to his pedipalps. You can many times tell if there was an insertion or not.
Mike

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
sounds like they knew what to do :)
yep, it's pretty quick, with G rosea anyway!
Just be prepared to separate them if she goes after him!
congrats on your first tarantula breeding!

anthony2561

Banned
Old Timer
good job!!! I haft 2 add a rose hair 2 my collection!!! I had one as my first, but i had 2 give it up when i moved 2 atlanta:confused: i felt like this i couldnt say anything i was so sad