It's a Cheap Hobby

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
I agree, fake plants are kinda a waste, but if it pleases the person with the enclosure...all power to them.....nothing wrong with that....I agree, natural tanks do take time, I understand what you are saying.
I've seen some pretty gnarly fake plants at my LPS, so I guess that people, if anyone, who use fake plants probably have a good reason. This just hit me- could a person giving tanks more oxygen with plants and just coincidentally good air quality raise larger T. Blondis over time because of how large they were back then? P.S. Sorry 'bout Sammy.

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
I've seen some pretty gnarly fake plants at my LPS, so I guess that people, if anyone, who use fake plants probably have a good reason. This just hit me- could a person giving tanks more oxygen with plants and just coincidentally good air quality raise larger T. Blondis over time because of how large they were back then? P.S. Sorry 'bout Sammy.
Any proposed correlations between the increased size of prehistoric invertebrates and increased oxygen is in the increased hyperbaric pressure of a denser atmosphere, not just "Fresher air"... hyperbaric chambers are used all the time to accelerate healing and for other things (treating The Bends, etc).

At least, I think that's what I read... "more oxygen" wouldn't have been sufficient...

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
Any proposed correlations between the increased size of prehistoric invertebrates and increased oxygen is in the increased hyperbaric pressure of a denser atmosphere, not just "Fresher air"... hyperbaric chambers are used all the time to accelerate healing and for other things (treating The Bends, etc).

At least, I think that's what I read... "more oxygen" wouldn't have been sufficient...
...oh. Well, we learn something new every day :D . Although, higher oxygen must have some effect on tarantulas.

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm kinda in the middle of all the opinions.

Right now I have slings, & unfortunately keep having to start over so I haven't had to many adults :( Since they are growing a lot I do keep them in cheap plastic containers. I check on them daily, keep them watered when/if needed, keep food cleaned out, pay attention to rump sizes/who is eating, etc etc.

And yes! I use FAKE plants! :p I shop very carefully for them & avoid anything that looks terribly gaudy. I even use suction cups to make my vines hang down right then having them sprout out of the ground.

I feel that right now I am doing things right as I have only had 1 loss so far & almost never have escape attempts, so I feel that my slings feel secure in their enclosures.

HOWEVER, once I have more adults, I would love to have nice realistic enclosures. Dangergirl's pictures make me drool, but I just don't want to do that make work for something that might outgrow it shortly.

Today my bf helped me with upkeep, which gave him the idea to draw up some really awesome plans for a custom multi arboreal tank setup :D That I would definitely use real plants, moss, nice rocks, etc & decorate like crazy.

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Fake plants look good as long as you don't go overboard (IMO).

Obelisk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This just hit me- could a person giving tanks more oxygen with plants and just coincidentally good air quality raise larger T. Blondis over time because of how large they were back then? P.S. Sorry 'bout Sammy.
An experiment was done on this. The dragonflies and beetles which were used grew faster and bigger. They were also found to have a lower concentration of tracheal (breathing) tubes found throughout their bodies after dissection.

It didn't make the cockroaches bigger though.

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2010/11/huge-dragonflies-oxygen/

cdjseahawk

Arachnopeon
i cant stop

LOl last year on my birthday in sep. i got my first T now i have 36 lol and i feel i need a lot more. I feel that each time i get a new one I mad a good investment.

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
LOl last year on my birthday in sep. i got my first T now i have 36 lol and i feel i need a lot more. I feel that each time i get a new one I mad a good investment.
+1- it really is like a little mini investment, and it supports you AND the seller!

brian abrams

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Cheap hobby

Getting back to the OP, I totally agree that this is one of THE cheapest hobbies going. I've invested hundreds of dollars, but have aquired a large and impressive collection of NW T's. Most of these are housed in deli containers, shoe, sweater box containers, and for the largest; smaller aquariums without any auxillary heating. In contrast, I've invested THOUSANDS in snakes, housed in racks and cages, requiring belly-heat and taking up much space. Even the so-called high end T's can be aquired for as little as $100-$200/sling. So yes, this is a GREAT hobby, and can be enjoyed by all!