it worked!!!

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ok i had flies in my tank. so I gotr some of those little bugs you find under rocks and logs that roll into a ball. I put around a dozen in the tank and when I got up they had dug down to the dead cricket and ate the whole thing. not only that but they ate all the boluses that the spider sits right above so I can't get them out. I'm gonna wait a few months and see how it goes and maybe ill throw some in my other tanks

abstract

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
This was suggested by the "Tarantula Keeper's Guide" - I was curious about this myself. Apparently, the pillbugs/roley-poleys will eat up all of the bad things in the tank, prevent mites, and leave the T alone! It is supposedly a mutual respect, as the T also leaves them alone.

Does anyone else do this?

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
In my area you can't turn over a rock without finding at least a few of these. I've found them in greatest numbers in a wooded area with a nice layer of composting/rotting leaves and earth. I may have to give it a try myself.

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
yeah i got the idea from the TKG still i can't believe how well it worked, it just took 24 hours and the cage is spotless not even a cricket leg.

Static_69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i kill those things in my back yard for fun with a torch...now i think i'll keep them instead of killin them!

Risto

nemesis6sic6

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
cool!

Here we have so many of thoes!
I heard they were decomposers like that but never tought of the Idea to clean you Tarantula enclosure
That is some good news for me I think every one should know about this.

peace

Geo

Nexus

Arachnopeon
I'll have to try that, I seem to find them all round my house, looks like they might actually have some use.

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
they have to be in a moist environment so only in the cages where you keep the substrate moist.

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
oh wow, i'm so glad someone brought this up! :) i had also just read about this in the TKG too. i swear, like yesterday.

awesome. hmmm...i guess that would work for my A. avic, but definitely not my G. rosea.

great dude, thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience with the rest of us!