It Stared Me Down...then Attacked

moose35

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
ok well not quite...but i was painting an apartment in my building. and all of a sudden this thing is buzzing around my head. i'm pretty sure its a cicada killer. and its parasitic(i think). here are some shots. my finger and a penny and some crickets are there for a size comparasion. and i just finished tossing her or him out the window so it can do what it does.

enjoy
moose

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That is most likely a male. Males are very territorial and will 'attack' almost anything that gets into range.

Fortunately, they can't sting.

moose35

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
ok its good to know it scared me for nothing...but it was stinging constantly in its KK for 30 minutes or so.
just out of curiosity:?

moose

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
That is most likely a male. Males are very territorial and will 'attack' almost anything that gets into range.

Fortunately, they can't sting.
sure, but the females sure as heck can sting!!:eek: i wouldn't take any chances...

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i've collected and kepy dozens of the, have never been attacked or stung by any.
although they ''could'', it's super unlikely..and you'd almost have to pick it up to get it to sting you.

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
i've collected and kepy dozens of the, have never been attacked or stung by any.
although they ''could'', it's super unlikely..and you'd almost have to pick it up to get it to sting you.
yep. kept a few nasties myself and never got stung. but then again, i don't know why you would pick up a huge cicada killer like that anyway :?

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yep. kept a few nasties myself and never got stung. but then again, i don't know why you would pick up a huge cicada killer like that anyway :?
lol..true..hey, sometimes people get crazy ideas.{D

Waspman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
This is a male (seven abdominal segments, females have six).

Many male wasps will try to imitate stinging you so you will drop them (they make the motions that they are stinging, but it's all an act).

andrew A davis

Arachnopeon
yes but male cicada killers have a " sting" that can pierce weak skin (under nails) ect and have some pretty powerful jaws (they dont hurt, but they do suprise you when you pick them up).