It came!! my B.smithi came!!!

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
yes!! my B.smithi came today!!! i am so happy it is only 1", very very cute!! my 5th Tarantula!!!

JAMES

P.S-do i need to mist it? should it be dry or moist?

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
With such a small spider a waterdish is out of the question. I would mist it once or twice a week.

schlinkey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I mist the side of the vials (thus keeping the substrate on that side moist) about twice a week :)

Theraphosa

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Mine came today too.. I bought a Hysterocrates gigas and Cyriopagopus paganus from Kelly. He gave me another paganus for free :).

Jack III

Arachnocultured
Old Timer
I feel your excitement. Congratulations. I have used a pop bottle cap (half filled with water with small stones in the bottom) in a small T's enclosure to help keep the humidity up. Don't have to mist as often then. Just something I've tried without any problems. Good luck with your new acquisition :D

looseyfur

Arachnofur
Old Timer
little hair duster

I have a little hair duster as well and it and yours are nearly the same size ... I do NOT do the water dish thing on anything that small and find that even with some larger T's misting works just as well for a water source. Its cool to see all my t's clinging to the sides of their tanks in unision drinking from the droplets... I should take a pic :)
anyhoo congrats I know how exciting it can be to get the spider you wanted , thats why I love my tiny little hair dusting bastard just the same :D :D

looseyfur

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Originally posted by Tarantula Lover
yes!! my B.smithi came today!!! i am so happy it is only 1", very very cute!! my 5th Tarantula!!!

JAMES

Congratulations, James! As others have said, you don't need a water dish with a spider this small (although if there's room for a plastic bottle cap in there, it won't hurt). However, the spider's moisture needs can be met by simply keeping part of its substrate slightly damp.

Joy

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hi James, I got a couple of s'lings from Swifty about a month ago. One is a Brachypelma angustrum and the other is a C. fascitum. The first one should probably be somewhat like yours since it is from the same genus.

I have kept them in the vial that they originally came in. I just make sure that the substrate is moist. They are doing quite fine, as both have already molted successfully!

Here is a picture of the vials that they came in are still in.

Just be patient and keep them in these for a while. I myself, when starting out in the hobby, didn't have resources like this forum to turn to to get help. So I always wanted to put my slings into small kritter keepers for better display. I have lost more than one that way. I even had the slits in the lid taped up.

Good Luck
Big Dragonfly

Last edited:

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'd like to know what the problem with a small water dish is with a sling? Have you guys had one drown?
I have two 5/8" slings both with very sm. dishes, is this bad? The dish is aprox. 3/4" wide and 3/16" deep..
Pls. advise, their expensive slings..
Thanks,
Ernie

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
hey

what kind of slings? it is ok as long as you have some pebbles so they wont drown and dont take any chances!

James

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Ones A King Baboon and the other is a Brazilian Black.
I,ll put in the pebble to be on the safe side,
Thanks, James

Ernie

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Tarantula Lover

JAMES

it never ceases to amaze people when I show them a tiny ling and then point at an adult of the same species on another shelf.
Ed

Slide

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Alright, quick question:
I too have a little 1" B.smithi sling. I've read that they're "slow" in the growth department, but ... what is slow? I've heard I should expect a molt every 4 - 6 weeks, but about how long is it before they go from sling to adult? A year? Two years?

Just curious...looking for generalities.. :)

Cheers!

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Slide,
Mine grew from about 1 1/2" to about 3 1/2" in 7 months.
Thats not too slow.

Ernie

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by MrT
Ones A King Baboon and the other is a Brazilian Black.
I,ll put in the pebble to be on the safe side,
Thanks, James

Ernie
Hi Ernie,
Although it probably wouldn't hurt to have a water dish in with the young one's, there's no need. Early instar theraphosids are capillary drinkers, they can suck the moisture up through their tarsi. This is how they drink in nature and this is usually how they drink in captivity.

With mine, I'll add a water dish at about the 4th-5th instar. I've literally raised thousands over some 11 years and this is what I've always done.

Cheers,
Steve