It bolted across the table!

rob

Got Inverts?
Old Timer
I got a new A. seemani today (4") and went into my routine of setting up its new home and taking some photo's before placing it in its enclosure. This T was very skittish and I wasn't going to handle it so I was gently nudging its abdomen to move it forward into the cage. This thing bolted out of the container it was in, through its new cage, down my arm, across the table, down the chair, and onto the floor in what seemed like no more than nano-second! Surprised the living (you know what) out of me. Good thing my wife was out shopping, she would have freaked out. I always have a deli-cup nearby to place over any escapees so I readily caught it and got it in the enclosure. My heart was racing so fast you'd have thought it was a Pokey or something. Here's a pic before it made a break for it.

Attachments

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Out of curiosity, are those wood shavings it is on?

rob

Got Inverts?
Old Timer
Yes, those are wood shavings, that's how he was at the pet store. I know not to keep it on wood shavings and he's on peat now that I've moved him into his new home.

Kenny

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yes dave

They are mighty fassst.
Wow,,I agree

rob

Got Inverts?
Old Timer
that is a good looking T how much did it cost ya
The A. seemani cost me $8 at my local pet store. BTW, my daughter Alicia was pleading with me to get this 4.5" B. albopilosum that cost $20 and I was resistant at first and then the couple that owned the store said that since I was regular customer buying weekly crickets and the occassional spider from them, I could have it for $10. So for $18, I bought both tarantula's.:D

krystal

Arachnodite
Old Timer
hey rob—
not to get all "peta" on you about the conditions in which that pet shop keeps their tarantulas, but you have told the owners (who obviously value you and your money :) ) that tarantulas do not live on woodchip bedding in the wild, right? that, and cedar bedding is the worst because it's a natural insect-repellant (what the t is on looks like cedar bedding—then again, it might be lizard litter). also, their tarantulas look as if they could handle being thrown an extra cricket or two from time to time. but, then again, i'm biased : )

now, GO THROW RED PAINT AT THAT PET SHOP! (heh, just kidding)

thanks for sharing your seemani experience. and congrats on scoring the b. albopilo for $10!