It aint pretty, but will it work?

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Ok, so I made this out of a beanie baby case, some plastic screen (the dipped variety without weaved wire), some hot glue, and half of a sling vial.

The vial serves as a feeding/misting port. The screens are for ventilation, and I put them in those positions for cross air flow. The lid goes on the vial when the T goes in there (a P. formosa, once I find some cork bark) and is quite secure.

Like I said, this may not be too attractive, as I had just gotten this new hot glue gun, but how about effectiveness, any comments?

Bill

P.S. - Feydakin says hi :)

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I'm guessing that you mounted the sling vial such that you can put the cap on it, right? Because otherwise that feeding misting port looks like a cricket and determined T escaping port. Other than that, why wouldn't it work? Looks good to me.

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Yes, I thought I said that, but I guess I was trying to do two things at once. I'm a DOS person, I suppose.

Bill.

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Conipto,

I like the "port" idea. Kind of a neat way to access w/o opening the whole enclosure.

Botar

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by conipto
Yes, I thought I said that, but I guess I was trying to do two things at once. I'm a DOS person, I suppose.

Bill.
You did, I missed it by pretty much jumping to the picture for my analysis. I assumed as much given that you're smarter than the average bear. But since I didn't see you say it (cause in spite of appearances, sometimes I'm dumber than a rock ;)), just thought I would double check. Pretty clever idea for handling a container that's otherwise hard to get into. I may have to steal it :D

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
Bill,
neato container, but will Feydakin actually fit?! LOL
He looks a tad large :)
j/k....it's a cool idea...and I may steal it as well!

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Looking at it again, the thing I would have done differently is actually leave room at the bottom for substrate and mounted a piece of plastic across to hold said substrate in when the lid actually was removed.

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Bill-

You described the screening as being "plastic". Is it the fiberglass type window screening (as cheap or cheaper than the aluminum)? If so, I've found that crickets can chew through it, which in turn allows tarantulas to tear it. The nylon coated with PVC "Pet Resistant" screening is tougher but more expensive.

Wade

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
No, it's aluminum, just coated with something black that resembles plastic. I specifically looked for this so that I could avoid the cross woven stuff from snagging legs.

Bill

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Conipto,
I like it! As of right now, I have but one arboreal, an A. avicularia. But, I think you've made a very cool enclosure. Btw, I LOVE your dog! Right now, I just have itsy bitsy dogs. I miss my big dogs.

Peace,
Gillian

Chris

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Looks awesome dude!

Sometimes I have as much interest in looking at people's setups as I do looking at their T's! I always have special respect for well made custom enclosures because they take some creativity and handy work.

I especially like the idea of the cricket/misting port... this is great to have for an aggressive species of T because it is quite non intrusive and virtually eliminates any escape routes.

Very nice work!!

minax

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Good Idea!

Looks cool, and neat looking dog ,what kind is it? I think there is lots of room for improving a T's habitat, I'm glad to see ideas like this.:D

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Minax - That's a 1 year old. 100 pound akita :)

Bill

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
I think it will work fine as I've been using beanie baby containers for the basis of my arachnohomes for a number of months at this point and they're working fine. The one suggestion that I might make to you is that instead of using the crib beanie baby container for an arboreal, you should use the normal vertically oriented ones. You can see pictures of mine in the arachnohomes thread in "The Watering Hole".

Scott

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
It looks like a fine idea to me. The feeding port is especially ingenious. I have gone so far as to drill/melt holes in containers for such a purpose, but I never thought of gluing a tube in there.

If you used such a system for A. geniculata, they'd be lined up with their chelicerae in front of the ports at feeding time! =D

Joy