Isopod Picture Thread

Marika

Arachnoangel
Yeah, there is quite a bit of misidentification going on with some sellers, and they are selling really common species off as the rarer Spanish species. :( One reputable seller was selling Oniscus asellus as P.haasi dark. Now I can definitely see the similarities between the two, but a knowledgeable person can definitely tell them apart, and the guy was selling them for crazy expensive prices too.

Sorry you got ripped off, can't believe the vendor was selling these as P.haasi, how could you even confuse the two?
I noticed that he's also had Porcellionides pruinosus in stock, so maybe it was an honest mistake. There was also another mix up with my order, some of the millipedes I ordered were missing. The vendor was sure he had packed and sent them, but there was one tub that only had substrate in it. He did trust me though and I got a refund. I didn't mention the isopods because I didn't have good photos of them at that time. It's still a nice species even though it's not what I ordered (and I paid too much).

Stugy

Arachnolord
Nice! For some reason my A.maculatum hadn't even begun reproducing yet and I got them in March from Kyle K.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Porcellio bolivari:

These have been my dream isopod species forever, I'm so happy to finally have some! :D Let's hope they'll breed for me!

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Yup, got 6 of them in a trade! :D REALLY hope they'll breed for me, they are a very tricky species...
Awesome! Good luck with them. I too hope they'll breed for you (and that one day you'll have so many that you'll have to sell off the surplus) :rolleyes:

I really need to try and get a breeding culture of the calico Porcellio scaber that live by my work. There's one lamp post that they swarm on and it's like 95% calicos. I know they aren't anything super special, but they're certainly pretty. Lol

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Awesome! Good luck with them. I too hope they'll breed for you (and that one day you'll have so many that you'll have to sell off the surplus) :rolleyes:

I really need to try and get a breeding culture of the calico Porcellio scaber that live by my work. There's one lamp post that they swarm on and it's like 95% calicos. I know they aren't anything super special, but they're certainly pretty. Lol
Haha thanks, me too! :D Luckily there are more and more US keepers breeding this species, so HOPEFULLY they'll become more common here.

It's certainly worth trying IMO, I find it very fun starting cultures of even most backyard species! :)