Isopod Picture Thread

SlugPod

Arachnoknight
Ahh such pretty isopods!

I just got a few powder blue isopods and another species I'm not 100% sure what they are. I think there might be another species as well since it looks a bit different from the others.
I don't have pictures yet but I might try to get some in a moment and add them if I do!

I'm hoping to get more species this year, hopefully soon.
I just love isopods, so cute.

Edit: I got some pictures of the ones I'm not 100% sure what they are. I think they're Armadillidium vulgare but like I mentioned I'm not sure.

Last edited:

Jacob Ma

Arachnoknight
I got some pictures of the ones I'm not 100% sure what they are. I think they're Armadillidium vulgare but like I mentioned I'm not sure.
Those appear to be all A. vulgare variants. Did you purchase all of your species, or did you find them running around?

SlugPod

Arachnoknight
Those appear to be all A. vulgare variants. Did you purchase all of your species, or did you find them running around?
I found them outside in my yard. Under some landscape timber.
I live in South Florida.

I have a question, because i'm only now getting into the keeping of invertabretes, would it be a good idea to put pillbug in with them? Not as food, but cleaning crew. I'll only use them as food for woodlice spiders when my dubia nymphs are scarce. Any other advice is also welcome!

SlugPod

Arachnoknight
I have a question, because i'm only now getting into the keeping of invertabretes, would it be a good idea to put pillbug in with them? Not as food, but cleaning crew. I'll only use them as food for woodlice spiders when my dubia nymphs are scarce. Any other advice is also welcome!
Would it be a good idea to put pillbugs in with what?
You just said in with "them" so I'm not sure what "them" is.
Can you specify what "them" is please?

Bunyan van Asten

Arachnoknight
Would it be a good idea to put pillbugs in with what?
You just said in with "them" so I'm not sure what "them" is.
Can you specify what "them" is please?
Oh yeah, sorry i was in class and didn't have much time, with "them" i just mean any other insects and spiders.

Jacob Ma

Arachnoknight
That would be fine, as long as your insect/spider is large enough to not stress over several pillbugs scurrying around. If not supplied with enough dead matter, the pillbugs may try no nibble on a molting invert instead which is very dangerous for it.

Last edited:

Bunyan van Asten

Arachnoknight
That would be fine, as long as your insect/spider is large enough to not stress over several pillbugs scurrying around. If not supplied with enough dead matter, the pillbugs may try no nibble on a molting invert instead which is very dangerous for it.
Okay, thanks for the info!

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Porcellio silvestrii:

Oniscus asellus "Mardi Gras Dalmatian" (Yes that's what I'm officially calling them):

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
I don't have any better pics atm, but could someone ID these isopods?

Some species of Porcellionides, I'm not sure there's a way to ID them to species without genital dissection or something similar.

Marika

Arachnoangel
Some species of Porcellionides, I'm not sure there's a way to ID them to species without genital dissection or something similar.
Ok, thanks, that's what I thought they might be. They were supposed to be Porcellio haasi :banghead:

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Ok, thanks, that's what I thought they might be. They were supposed to be Porcellio haasi :banghead:
Yeah, there is quite a bit of misidentification going on with some sellers, and they are selling really common species off as the rarer Spanish species. :( One reputable seller was selling Oniscus asellus as P.haasi dark. Now I can definitely see the similarities between the two, but a knowledgeable person can definitely tell them apart, and the guy was selling them for crazy expensive prices too.

Sorry you got ripped off, can't believe the vendor was selling these as P.haasi, how could you even confuse the two?