Isn't he pretty

MarSea222

Arachnopeon
So My fiancee (who I might add is terrified of my T's.) decided he was ready to do a supervised rehousing of my B. albopilosum(Dozer) At the same time my A. avic decided to come out and show its self after its recent molt. So I finally got to get pics of it. I had been hoping was female but after sexing by molt, "she" is deffinately a boy. So I just wanted to share on my eventful day.
Here is my A. avic.

And here is my fiancee finishing up a very smooth rehousing of Dozer B.albo. Granted he finished a little backwards in the end but it was still very smooth for a first time re-housing for him.

I am proud of him to so I had to share his progress from freaking out about spiders to moving a T to a new enclosure. {D

Last edited:

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Looks like an Avic.metallica to me (shrugs) Nice spider though,it looks great.

MarSea222

Arachnopeon
It's my camera flash. The flash doesn't show the reddish color on his opisthosoma. The camera deffinately did not do him justice.

redrumpslump

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It may just be me but the first pi if you look at his caripice doesn't it look like he's making an angry face or something to that lol

MarSea222

Arachnopeon
It may just be me but the first pi if you look at his caripice doesn't it look like he's making an angry face or something to that lol
I'm glad you saw that two!! I told my fiancee that and he said that I was just trying to break his concentration on his rehousing project. So he didn't look at it. I think that the T looks grumpy to though!!

Steve Calceatum

Arachnolord
Old Timer
+1 here! Looking VERY Pinktoe to me. Nice looking!
The species A. metallica has white toes. Hence the common name, "White Toed Tarantula." Still a fuzzy-cute specimen!!!! :p

Your man did good!!! It doesn't matter what species it is, a big hairy spider is just that. One day you'll be standing by his side, ready to dial 911 as he is rehousing his S. cal. :D

Now I could be wrong, but I don't believe humidity is necessary for a B. albopilosum. All of my NW terrestrials prefer it dry. Maybe I can get away with a little moisture around their waterdishes when filled. But if I overdo it, or wet the 'strate too frequently, they go climbing walls for the better part of a week and a half.

Secondly, misting only provides a quick spike in the humidity, and serves only to annoy your tarantula. Wetting the substrate became my method of choice when reason finally set in. Pissing off a bug that can hurt me is not too bright of an idea, nor too fun when they come flying out of the enclosure, LOL!!!

MarSea222

Arachnopeon
He was attemping to fill the water dish, but it's only a water bottle lid so he missed it or overfilled it. He couldn't find the happy medium.:D

x Mr Awesome x

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The species A. metallica has white toes. Hence the common name, "White Toed Tarantula." Still a fuzzy-cute specimen!!!! :p

I've seen, and owned, plenty of A. metaliica with pink toes. I think the common names don't very appropriately describe specimens. The longer hairs and frosted tips are a pretty strong indication of an A. metallica.

Steve Calceatum

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I've seen, and owned, plenty of A. metaliica with pink toes. I think the common names don't very appropriately describe specimens. The longer hairs and frosted tips are a pretty strong indication of an A. metallica.
From what I understand, the true A. metallica has white toes. I have also heard of pink-toed specimens being referred to as the "hobby" version of this species.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've never seen an A. metallica with toes that were actually white. They are, IME, a lighter shade of pink than other Avics which approaches white right at the very tip of the scopulae but they're not really white.

MarSea222

Arachnopeon
Mr. Awesome, since your have owned many metallicas, is there any other things I can look at to tell for sure which Avicularia this is? Don't anyone flame me for my ignorance, I would just like to know what else I can do to identify him since I am now doubting what it is and what it was sold to me as. I appreciate the impute guys and gals.

x Mr Awesome x

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Mr. Awesome, since your have owned many metallicas, is there any other things I can look at to tell for sure which Avicularia this is? Don't anyone flame me for my ignorance, I would just like to know what else I can do to identify him since I am now doubting what it is and what it was sold to me as. I appreciate the impute guys and gals.
To clarify, I meant that I've owned 'a' A. metallica, there are pics of her in my pic thread linked in signature, and I have seen hundreds of pics through research. Although what someone had hinted to earlier about the 'hobby' metallica being a bit detached from the 'true' metallica makes plenty of sense to me, I'd say that I've noticed A. metallica to more blue/greenish in color than the very dark blue, almost black, A. avicularia. The hairs on the A. avicularia are pretty dark from what I've seen and do not have the long whiteish look of the metallic. This genus is a mess in the hobby right now and wouldn't in the slightest doubt that the lines have been blurred significantly. I've seen some pretty goofy lookin' B. vagans a lot lately too.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Gorgeous little Avic, and congrats on your man's progress! :D

Where did you get your Avic? That might help determine if there is a need for changing the ID you have on it :)

MarSea222

Arachnopeon
To clarify, I meant that I've owned 'a' A. metallica, there are pics of her in my pic thread linked in signature, and I have seen hundreds of pics through research. Although what someone had hinted to earlier about the 'hobby' metallica being a bit detached from the 'true' metallica makes plenty of sense to me, I'd say that I've noticed A. metallica to more blue/greenish in color than the very dark blue, almost black, A. avicularia. The hairs on the A. avicularia are pretty dark from what I've seen and do not have the long whiteish look of the metallic. This genus is a mess in the hobby right now and wouldn't in the slightest doubt that the lines have been blurred significantly. I've seen some pretty goofy lookin' B. vagans a lot lately too.
Ohhhhh!!!! Ooops I thought you ment that you had owned several. My bad, sorry.:eek: But I agree with the blurred line with the genus, my T being just another case in point where it might not be what it was sold under. But thank you for the info though. I do appreciate it.:D

Thanks Teal!!! I do think he's pretty whatever he turns out to be. Although I love to be able to trace what he is from who I bought him from. He is unfortunatly my LPS survior:8o. So If he is not a A. avic. then the pet store was just what every pet store is, ignornant about the animals they are keeping. I know you can never trust the LPS but I was hoping he might be what they sold him under. I guess I'm just gonna take a guess with him. I am hoping to figure out what he is because he is so pretty in person, I would love to breed him to see if I can get some slings to turn out with the same coloring as him if possible. But, if don't what he is, he may just spend his days as a lonely bachelor:(. Also, my fiancee says thank you. He was quite proud of himself for his re-housing.

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ohhhhh!!!! Ooops I thought you ment that you had owned several. My bad, sorry.:eek: But I agree with the blurred line with the genus, my T being just another case in point where it might not be what it was sold under. But thank you for the info though. I do appreciate it.:D

Thanks Teal!!! I do think he's pretty whatever he turns out to be. Although I love to be able to trace what he is from who I bought him from. He is unfortunatly my LPS survior:8o. So If he is not a A. avic. then the pet store was just what every pet store is, ignornant about the animals they are keeping. I know you can never trust the LPS but I was hoping he might be what they sold him under. I guess I'm just gonna take a guess with him. I am hoping to figure out what he is because he is so pretty in person, I would love to breed him to see if I can get some slings to turn out with the same coloring as him if possible. But, if don't what he is, he may just spend his days as a lonely bachelor:(. Also, my fiancee says thank you. He was quite proud of himself for his re-housing.
I'm still going with A.metallica. The wife just bought me a 3.5-4 inch juvie today,and it looks just like yours...I was actually thinking about your t when she made the purchase.

Obelisk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Great looking spider. I recently got an A. avic, but I love how the metallica's have those white hairs everywhere.