is this Normal

Masurai

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I got a G. Rosea yeasterday and i just looked over at her and she had the tip of her third leg at her mouth and her fangs are moving up and down and so are her pedipalps. It almost looks to me like she's eating her leg. But i don't think she should be hungry, she ate at least four cikets yeasterday. So should i be worried, or is this just another case of a weird rosea

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Its something every T does. She is just grooming herself. All Ts will clean themselves periodically. She will slobber on one foot and use that foot to clean other parts of her body then back to the mouth that foot goes. Sometimes when they are done you will see them bend down and put their fangs in the substrate a few times to deposite whatever was collected from the cleaning.

Masurai

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks

Thanks, i was starting to get a little worried.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I got a G. Rosea yeasterday and i just looked over at her and she had the tip of her third leg at her mouth and her fangs are moving up and down and so are her pedipalps. It almost looks to me like she's eating her leg. But i don't think she should be hungry, she ate at least four cikets yeasterday. So should i be worried, or is this just another case of a weird rosea
Nope, no need to worry, she/he is just grooming itself just like a cat or dog would. Is this your first T, if so congrats and welcome!

Masurai

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Nope, no need to worry, she/he is just grooming itself just like a cat or dog would. Is this your first T, if so congrats and welcome!
yep she is my first. I got her from a petstore. I think she is full-grown. I guess I'll have to wait for her to molt.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'd say about five or six inches.
Just in case you don't or aren't sure about gender: At that size it should be female, unless it has hooks and bulbs. Of course, there is still always a chance it just turns out to be a big 5"+ male.

mrbonzai211

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wow, four crickets in one sitting is quite a bit for a rosea of that size. Mine is roughly the same size and she doesn't even get that many in a month and she's still getting fat.

Masurai

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just in case you don't or aren't sure about gender: At that size it should be female, unless it has hooks and bulbs. Of course, there is still always a chance it just turns out to be a big 5"+ male.
I'm pretty sure it's a female. I checked for the spurs before I brought her. But then again I have heard of rosea males molting and losing their spurs. So i guess I'll have to wait for a molt to be sure

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If there were hooks you would see them they are very very hard to miss on Rosea's. So for now its ether an inmature male or a female.

Masurai

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wow, four crickets in one sitting is quite a bit for a rosea of that size. Mine is roughly the same size and she doesn't even get that many in a month and she's still getting fat.
It might of been more. Cause when i got to the pet store they had already put them in and she was eating one, so as far as i know she could of ate 6 or 7, I was going to just remove the extra ones after she was done, but she did that for me.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm pretty sure it's a female. I checked for the spurs before I brought her. But then again I have heard of rosea males molting and losing their spurs. So i guess I'll have to wait for a molt to be sure
No male T molts and loses their spurs, unless they get caught in the molt and lose their entire leg.

Do you mind taking a picture of your T?

Masurai

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
No male T molts and loses their spurs, unless they get caught in the molt and lose their entire leg.

Do you mind taking a picture of your T?
i would take some pictures but. I have no way of posting them

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Use imageshack.us(no need to register) or photobucket.com(need to register, free version) to upload your pics, then copy the codes with the
tags, and paste them here.

Masurai

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Use imageshack.us(no need to register) or photobucket.com(need to register, free version) to upload your pics, then copy the codes with the
tags, and paste them here.
the problem is that I don't have access to a computer. I have a MSNTV.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
the problem is that I don't have access to a computer. I have a MSNTV.
Ohhh, bummer, oh well the pic isn't that important; as long as your G.rosea doesn't possess these...

or these(not the best pic)...

then it's not a male for now. If it doesn't obtain the hooks or bulbs on it's next molt it is definately a female(going by size). You'll be able to sex it female from the molt if it has Spermathecae.

Last edited:

Masurai

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ohhh, bummer, oh well the pic isn't that important; as long as your G.rosea doesn't possess these...

or these(not the best pic)...

then it's not a male for now. If it doesn't obtain the hooks or bulbs on it's next molt it is definately a female(going by size). You'll be able to sex it with the Spermathae(sp?) from the molt anyway.
No she doesn't have either of those. And it's cool that the second wasn't the best, cause i have a National Geographic from Sept. 1996 that has a good picture of the bulbs. And thanks for all your help Novak