Is this normal

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
hi, my avic is in 75 deg(temp) and he is putting his fangs around his legs, i have a water dish in there, 2 crix, and he is around 3", and has some webbing. is this normal? thanks!
James Kakos:?

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Tarantulas are known sometimes "groom" themselves, and what you're describing sounds like this behavior to me. If so, 100% normal.

Wade

Rookie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Crix 2x

Just make sure those crickets don't stay in there too long if they go uneaten.
The Rookie

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
should i take them out? when should i put them back in, i have to take them out at 2:00pm, now i am at the library, thanks, JAMES

gilly2k

Arachnopeon
My avic carrys this cleaning routine once every two/three weeks, I have also found that most of my T's do this close to a molt.
dont worry about it it will probrobly be eating soon.

Good luck GILLY2K

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It is fine to leave the crickets in their uneaten. If the spider wants them it will walk down the side of the cage to get them but Avics stay up on the sides all the time so they cant bother them.

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Actually, that's not the best idea. Even though the avics are arboreal, the crix can easily be a disturbance. Especially if there's cork bark or other means by which the crix can climb. Also that fact that the crix deposit waste, and lay eggs as well. It's not a good idea at all to just let crix inhabit the same enclosure as your T. Also, if the T is approaching a molt (which is the most common reason for uneaten prey) you definitely don't want any crix loose in there. They can cause serious stress to a T during the molting process.
T.L., here's what ya do. When feeding, put the # of crix that your T will usually eat. 2, 3 at the most at a time. You can usually give the T overnight to eat them but any that remain should be removed. If your T isn't taking the crix, try again in a couple of days. As long as the T looks nice and healthy there's not much to worry about if it goes a little while without food. (Make sure that fresh water is always available though.)
If your Avic doesn't eat after a couple tries, it may be approaching a molt. Keep an eye on it and try not to disturb it. You may even wait as much as a week before trying another feeding. This won't harm the T at all.
Oh, and like Wade said, the "fanging" the legs does sound like grooming behavior. Perfectly normal.

Anyhow, T.L., how big is your Avic?

Good luck.
Atrax

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Oh, your Avic will probably molt fairly frequently at that size. How long ago was the last molt and how often do you feed it?

Atrax

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Great post Atrax.

It pretty much covers the basic " how too" in T feeding. Good stuff dude.

Bronco fan? I lived in Broomfield for 7 yrs.. Use to sit in the south stands. Yeah!!

Ernie

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks MrT! :)
I haven't been following too much football lately. Too many commitments at the moment. :rolleyes:
Why'd you leave Co.?

Atrax