Is this Hadrurus Arizonensis molting or dying?

ScorpSarah

Arachnosquire
image.jpeg image.jpeg Help! I just got this scorpion yesterday and I don't think I will be able to handle it if it dies on me so soon. Since I got him he has been very sluggish, and when I took him out of the packaging I seriously thought he was dead. He has been burrowing some, as he has a clay/sand mixture. He has been very docile and okay with me putting my hands in his cage, which I read this species is supposed to be aggressive. Anyways, tonight he has been moving to various places of his cage, staying in each spot about half an hour then moving again. His tail has been going more towards his side for the past hour, and now he is resting like in the photos above and I'm afraid it is not normal. I have never seen a scorpion molt before so I don't know if that's what this is or not. :( I'm really worried.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Sounds like it's just settling in and exploring a bit. Scorps can be pretty active when they get a new home, so it's not too surprising that it's wandering around quite a bit. If it was molting, it would go under cover somewhere and you wouldn't see it for a while. Though admittedly if you aren't seeing it often and it's hiding that means you probably have a happy scorp. With the tail lying to the side it's just relaxing a bit more and doesn't feel as nervous or threatened. Burrowing is always a good sign too.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
It does not appear to be molting or dying. That is a normal "resting position" that I see mine in all the time when they are not actively moving around.

Regarding the "sluggishness" I have to ask what the temperature is in the enclosure @ScorpSarah

Greenjewls

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Looks like a very nice specimen, very healthy. Sometimes I get one that is super tame/mellow and doesn't mind being handled. Sometimes I get one that is the opposite and very defensive. But beware some individuals can mood swing between those extremes daily. Good luck and I hope you watched my video!

ScorpionCollector91

Arachnopeon
had lots of mine exhibit strange behaviour such as this, Arizonensis tend to Health-swing the most in my experience.

ScorpSarah

Arachnosquire
Sorry for the late response, haven't checked this in a while. He ended up being totally fine. He is just very laid back. He stays in his burrow most of the time but always comes out when I drop a cricket in there. :)