is this even a b.dubia?

snappleWhiteTea

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
hey guys,
for the longest time my mature males have looked different then this, then one day i noticed one of these guys just walking up the tub like nothing, now these are all the males, the original males all have died, but there are plenty of these males around. so my question is are these truly B.dubia?

AlanMM

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
No, that is no b. dubia male. The one in your picture looks like a Blaberus sp.

This is a dubia male:

snappleWhiteTea

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
No, that is no b. dubia male. The one in your picture looks like a Blaberus sp.

This is a dubia male:
yeah thats all i had up until a few months ago. now these are all i have. I don't assume they can breed with the dubia females.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It could be your Blaberus have been out-competing the dubs. Maybe they've been eating all the nymphs and that's why you have no dubia males? Just a guess.

Do you have any Blaberus sp. females in there too? They should be different enough for you to tell at a glance once you know what you're looking for. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to start separating them out if possible.

snappleWhiteTea

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
It could be your Blaberus have been out-competing the dubs. Maybe they've been eating all the nymphs and that's why you have no dubia males? Just a guess.

Do you have any Blaberus sp. females in there too? They should be different enough for you to tell at a glance once you know what you're looking for. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to start separating them out if possible.
there maybe females in there, heres a quick picture.

ZephAmp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The big nymph is a Blaptica dubia.
The adult Blaberus you have there looks like my "Blaberus atropos"; that wing color is too extensive for it to be a real/pure Blaberus discoidalis.
A while back (3 years ago maybe) I got a big batch of "Blaptica dubia." It had a single adult pair of real dubias and all tiny nymphs. As the nymphs matured I realized they weren't B. dubia but Blaberus discoidalis. Apparently the supplier mislabeled them! I've even seen Nauphoeta cinerea sold as Phoetalia pallida as well.
**Also, every other nymph in your photo is a B. dubia. The coloration and shape is how you can tell. Also, seeing as the oddball ones are winged, they could be a mix of both sexes of Blaberus since both sexes have full wings.

mitchnast

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Umm, I think were missing the fact here that both male and female blaberus roaches are fully winged.

So an adult female would look just like a male to the uninitiated.

*edit, ooops, seems it was just mentioned in the last post

Last edited: