Is this enclosure setup good? getting first T Wednesday

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I keep my exactly the same as my gbb and I've raised it from a 1cm sling to a fully mature adult male at 2.5". They are extremely easy to care for but lightening fast and mine was prone to mood swings as in really docile or very angry.
I agree with everything that's been said about the enclosure @stephen sav the small critter keeper will work fine providing the vents aren't too large

cold blood

Staff member
Resized952016111495170359.jpg The general rule for kritter keepers is 1.75" minimum size, or they are an escape risk.

Op, a 16oz deli cup is the perfect place for your new t until its about 2.5".
This is a basic set up.

cold blood

Staff member
Resized952016111495170431.jpg I would limit the amount of holes on the lid and put some on the sides...I use 2 rings of holes. You don't need or want nearly as much ventilation as you have in that lid. It will cause the enclosure to dry to quickly.

You can see the side venting in this pic if you can zoom a bit.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
well its a dwarf species only getting 3 inches in length so the enclosure should be fine for it right?
No, original setup is arboreal, this species is a terrestrial. The KK you have would be fine for an adult, esp because they are quite fast.

P.sazimai is arboreal right? .
It is not.

That size would be too large even for a fully grown dwarf tarantula. A medium keeper is the largest I'd go when dealing with dwarves, and even that is pretty spacious.
Regarding the KK the OP showed- is fine for an adult dwarf T, provided the sub is the appropriate height. I've raised an AF dwarf in various size KK, including large ones. IF you meant his original post, then disregard ;)

ty for info is this fine?
I own lids like that. The square holes may be too large for a sling of that size. If the carapace is narrower than the width of hole, you have an escape problem in the future.

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
a good go to that i used to ballpark estimate enclosure sizes when i was new (cant remember who gave me the idea/info sorry to whoever it was) is:

terestrial: 3-5x DLS in length, ~2(ish)x the DLS for width, and ~1.5x DLS for height (to prevent any potential injuries from falls, they are after all wild creatures that will try to escape)
Arboreal: 1.5-3x DLS for leangth and width (more wont really hurt but will make finding prey harder and is more maintenance for no reason) and 3-5x DLS in height, with plenty of plant cover in the upper 2/3 of the enclosure for webbing purposes.

hope this helps you make an informed decision on what to house your new friends in, also i would stress to ask here/do ALOT of research about any species you buy, BEFORE you buy. the fact you didnt know the nature of the species could have resulted in a dead T. Also i would implore you to refer by scientific name.
for example:
someone could ask a invert shop owner or someone here "how to keep a birdeater" and they could think you meant Lasiodora parahybana (salmon pink BIRDEATER) and tell you "keep it on the dry side". but the T youre getting happens to be a Therophosa stirmi (Goliath BIRDEATER) instead, these species share a common name but vary DRASTICALLY in care requirements and would almost certainly result in a dead specimen.

research research research