is this common???

Static_69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i've read that a. moderatum T's are nocturnal, dont climb, and arent very active.....but my new one contradicts this i suppose...he is climbing all over the walls of the critter keeper, walking EVERYWHERE, and seems to love to be handled and walk up and down my arms...odd or what?

Risto

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Species behavior is a blanket thing I think.
This is how This species Usualy acts.
Individuals are just that. Individuals. They may stay under their species blankets or go Nuts and do what they want.
I think they just didn't get their copy of their handbooks.
If she seems comfortable and healthy.
Then just enjoy watching her and leting her trundle on you. She might change her mind later and start doing what her spcies does.

Hope this helped :)

Static_69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i hope she stays the playful and nonaggressive T she is now...its pretty sweet watching her eat those crickets too :)

Risto

belewfripp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My moderatums are very non-aggressive as well. They are both very small, like yours; that may or may not have something to do with the lack of aggression. Some Ts are more nervous and prone to run around when younger but as they grow older, in the case of more bite-oriented Ts, they start standing their ground and throwing up defensive postures. My moderatums don't eat much, and mostly just sit there, in constrast to yours. Hopefully she will remain docile, active and hungry.

Adrian

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I 'm lucky enough to live in Aphonopelma land.
So every fall I see the males walking around looking for love.
If I see one on the road, I'll stop to remove it before some driver trys to run over the big mean spider.
Anyway, I will just bend over and pick it up. I've never had one ever try to bite me. The females I collect are the same way.
I've picked up Aphonopelma's for 20 yrs.. Their nice and calm.
Or maybe I'm just lucky.;)

Ernie

Last edited:

Static_69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
thats pretty cool...its good to hear from some others with the same t's and hear the personalities of those..

Risto

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
In Stan and Marguerite Schultz's book, they specifically mention that all Aphonopelma spp. are quite docile, with one exception, Aphonopelma moderatum which "bite readily"(pg 78). Of course there are always exceptions and no two tarantulas will behave the same, but A. moderatum in general are quite fiesty and will try to bite.

Cheers,
Steve

petitegreeneyes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Shucks, you guys are lucky then because I have 2-moderatum and 1-texensis and they are all aggressive and readily to bite.

Static_69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
maybe i totally lucked out on the moderatum being non-aggressive...but maybe its just a juvie thing...because in the caresheets it says that moderatums get to about 5 inches if i'm not mistaken and this one is about 2.5-3...so it could just be layed back because its a juvie....

Risto