is this an H. Minax and if not what is it???

Weapon-X

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
hi was wondering if this was an H. Minax?, if not anyone know what it might be, sorry for the bluriness can't seem to really get good detail in the house tommorw i'll try for a shot in the sunlight, thanks--Jeff

Attachments

Weapon-X

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
another pic

by the way its not mature yet either from what i know i'll be picking up a few more soon...

Attachments

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I dont know what it is but it doesnt look like an H minax to me. I am sure somebody will prove me wrong.

Martin H.

Arachnoangel
Old Timer

IMHO not H. minax. But the photo is to fuzzy to make a good guess. But if I where you I would compare with Haplopelma sp. "longipedum" (often sold as "Cyriopagopus paganus" in the pet trade). Lateley someone offered me freshly imported "Haplopelma minax" which where indeed Haplopelma sp. "longipedum".

all the best,
Martin

www.spiderpix.com

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
well i have an asian chevron, but i recieved it as an adult so im not sure if that is what their coloring looks like as subs. i know they arent that brightly colored as adults, my guess was a suntiger. never saw one in person, but from the pics ive seen that abdomen just says suntiger to me. im probably wrong, just my guess.;P

Devildoll

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
definatly not a suntiger... looks like it could be one of those Haplopelma sp. longepedum....
H. minax is really just jet black, some slight markings on upper legs... but mainly just black.

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I agree. It's not likely that you'd be able to see the abdominal striping that clearly in such a blurry pic if it were minax.

Atrax

Chris

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Looks like a C. Paganus or a C. Thorelli.... ok what do I win? lol

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
I see this question raised alot... anyone have a good picture of what a TRUE H. minax looks like?

Bill

Martin H.

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi,

Originally posted by Chris

Looks like a C. Paganus or a C. Thorelli.... ok what do I win? lol
öööhhhmm, how does C. paganus look like? To my knowledge, the holotype is in a museum in Paris, but nobody can find it there at the moment => wonder who can do a 100% ID of a C. paganus at the moment! Are there any in the pet trade or are all so called "C. paganus" miss IDed? Who knows...
All pet trade "C. paganus" I have seen so far where indeed Haplopelma sp. "longipedum".

It's not difficult to check if the spider on the photo is Haplopelma sp. "longipedum": Haplopelma lividum and H. sp. "longipedum" are at the moment the only two(?) Haplopelma species knowen, where leg IV is clear longer than leg I (RF ~ 89). Leg I and leg IV of the other Haplopelma species are almost equal in length (RF: ~ 98).

and please find attached a photo of a Cyriopagopus schioedtei (= the pet trade "Cyriopagopus thorelli") and compare yourself with the photo above! =;-)

Originally posted by conipto

I see this question raised alot... anyone have a good picture of what a TRUE H. minax looks like?
stocky black with no markings (the pink spots besides the eyes are not typical, she lost some hairs (and one leg) during the last molt):

Attachments

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Yes, thanks Martin.. that is exactly what I thought an H. minax looked like.

Everyone's I see has colored abdomens, like the H. longipedum

Bill