Is this a Loxosceles?

Bothrops

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Today I found this spider. Is it a Loxosceles rufescens or I'm mistaken? I'm from Israel.
Sorry, but these pictures are the best I could get.

Silberrücken

Arachnoangel
Hi Bothrops!

The spider in your photos is a Yellow Sac spider, but I am unsure of the exact name of it... :wall: It eludes my brain at the moment... :?

I have kept and observed these, and although they are medically significant, I have never been bitten. They are nocturnal hunters, and they only make a papery 'sleepsac' to hide/rest in. It is very fascinating to watch them catch prey items too. If they catch more than 1 at a time, they will cram their jaws full, and when done will drop a small ball.

If for some reason it escapes, not to worry. Later you only need to look up on the walls near the ceiling and you will find it. They like high places and corners. But... I must warn you.... they are very hard to catch! LOL! {D

For food, they LOVE all types of small flies and moths, as well as other smaller spiders.

Someone will find this post and hopefully know the correct name for it. Here is a link to some excellent photos of Loxosceles rufescens.

http://www.pbase.com/emidiomachado/loxosceles_rufescens

Have a great day, and I hope I was helpful! :) S.

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Metatarsus/tarsus ...incredibly thick n' burly. And this ones hungry? ..abdomen is not showing much id-able shape. Edit: male palps i see?
I wonder what Cheiracanthium strasseni look like?

Last edited:

Silberrücken

Arachnoangel
So my friend converted that .pdf to a .txt, and it is a very interesting read.

However: I was reading this before I posted my first answer...

http://www.srv.net/~dkv/hobospider/yellosac.html

What's the difference between clinically and medically significant? And different people will have different reactions.

Or are you are referring to "I have never been bitten."? If so, I have never been bitten by ANY spider. Of that I am sure. :)

S.

Last edited:

Bothrops

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks everyone, you were all very helpful.
Looking at the pictures from Cheiracanthium sp. it certainly looks like it.

buthus: I've not seen any boxing gloves. Do you think it's a male, though?
And do you have any tips about the care of this spider?

Thanks again!

Last edited:

Lorum

Arachnosquire
@ Lorum: Am I sure of what?
I mean, sure that they are spiders whose bite is medically significant.

So my friend converted that .pdf to a .txt, and it is a very interesting read.

However: I was reading this before I posted my first answer...

http://www.srv.net/~dkv/hobospider/yellosac.html

What's the difference between clinically and medically significant? And different people will have different reactions.
The link you provide has a copyright from 1999, the article I posted is from 2006. The web site is not actualized (as you can read in the main page). Also, there is not a single reference to literature used to write the article about the yellow sac spider. It even says they are members of the family Clubionidae.:rolleyes:

And yes, different people will have different reactions, but in that case every spider bite would be of medical significance...

I quote the article I posted:

"Effects of Cheiracanthium envenomation should be referred to as mild or moderate, leaving the term severe for more dramatic systemic manifestations."

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks everyone, you were all very helpful.
Looking at the pictures from Chiericanthium sp. it certainly looks like it.

buthus: I've not seen any boxing gloves. Do you think it's a male, though?
And do you have any tips about the care of this spider?

Thanks again!
Nope.. i guess its just a little shadow im seeing in the photo. It doesnt look like the 'yellow sacs' we find over here (well..it does but it doesnt :?) ...and you're in Israel correct?
Sacs around here tend to live anywhere dry in fact they are often found within the most uninhabitable dry spots within homes. They climb and find hides by wedging themselves in very tight places. They seem to go nutz in captivity if they are restricted to a typical bottom of container horizontal life ...so... i suggest some climbable walls/top and add a couple dried curled leaves (or something like) ..maybe one up high in a corner.
And imo ...lite mist once a week and feed once a month.

Silberrücken

Arachnoangel
I'm not here to nit-pick over every little thing someone writes. If anything, BOTH of us showed "out-of-date" material.

Regardless of what is argued about, it IS a Yellow Sac spider, and I did state in my post that the name eluded me at the moment. I also should not have provided a link to such site without completely reading it first. So that was my bad. :wall:

Thank you, Lorum, I shall refrain from any further postings since it is obvious I know nothing about True Spiders... or anything else.

Here's a article that's a little more updated-2006.

http://www.pestid.msu.edu/InsectsAr...racanthiuminclusumandC/tabid/264/Default.aspx

Granted, it seems it's a pesticide Services page, but one from a University...

I'm outta here. :clap: My apologies to the OP. S.