Is this a female AFS? Is she gravid?

Scorptarant27103

Arachnopeon
Hello,

I am newer to keeping scorpions & tarantulas. I was wondering if anybody could help me with telling the sex of my Asian Forest Scorpion?
If it is a female does it seem gravid?
I got him/her about 3 months ago and it’s definitely getting fatter as the time passes by- very noticeably thicker. I noticed originally that it was chubby when purchased but I don’t over feed to allow for this type of thickness I don’t think lol. I feed 1, at most 2, crickets a week to my AFS but continues to balloon up.

I will attach photos below & thank you for any help!!
RenderedImage.jpeg IMG_1654.jpeg

Joey Spijkers

Arachnoprince
Looks like this is a female [edit: male] Heterometrus silenus.
Adult males of this species possess an enlarged tooth on the movable finger of the chelae. Check this to confirm the gender if she's adult. If the tooth is absent, she is indeed a female.

Last edited:

adam james

Arachnosquire
Hi Joey,
I thought this may have been male, as it appears to me that the operculum points toward the front of the scorp, or is fairly oval as well.. I thought I also saw a large tooth on the right chela in that image although its a bit hard to tell.
I am not overly experienced, so I must ask, am I way off here in my thinking? What sways you to female in this image? The slightly shorter looking pectine feathers? Or do you see something else here that makes you think female.
Cheers.

RenderedImage.jpeg
IMG_1654.jpeg

Last edited:

HOITrance

Arachnosquire
Hi Joey,
I thought this may have been male, as it appears to me that the operculum points toward the front of the scorp, or is fairly oval as well.. I thought I also saw a large tooth on the right chela in that image although its a bit hard to tell.
I am not overly experienced, so I must ask, am I way off here in my thinking? What sways you to female in this image? The slightly shorter looking pectine feathers? Or do you see something else here that makes you think female.
Cheers.

View attachment 474048
View attachment 474049
love questions like this, as we all learn then :) curious myself

Joey Spijkers

Arachnoprince
Hi Joey,
Cheers.

View attachment 474048
View attachment 474049
Upon looking again, I think you're right. The pectines are small, but the operculum looks more male nonetheless (which is more telling). My previous look must have been too brief. Chelae teeth will confirm.
Thanks for correcting me.