is this a Blackwidow? i say no... but what do you think?

invadermike

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Blackwidow? I say no... you say??...

Hey at first glance i thought this was a black widow but now i don't think so, any one know what spider this is? Found it in South New Jersey.
Mike

Attachments

That_Guy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
This is the species that is going to get the size of a football... Their called silver spiders. I dont know Sci name. The live in groups, the spin webs across anything that has 2 points. Grass seed is blown into the web, the crawl across it and grad the seed. They keep a huge pile of seed and when the mice come to eat it, they eat the mice....

biznacho

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
shiny

wow, pretty. i like the silver ass.

biznacho
forgive the lack of scientific terms, i'm tired.

D-Man

Arachnochicano
Old Timer
Originally posted by That_Guy
This is the species that is going to get the size of a football... Their called silver spiders. I dont know Sci name. The live in groups, the spin webs across anything that has 2 points. Grass seed is blown into the web, the crawl across it and grad the seed. They keep a huge pile of seed and when the mice come to eat it, they eat the mice....
Where did you get this info from?

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
no its not a black widow I kept a female black widow for a few months then it laid an eggsac and the slings all got loose in my house. the ones I've seen have the red hourglass on there belly and a few red dots on there back. I know what you've got there, it lives in a tangled web much like a black widow but just has some faint brownish markings on the belly am I right.

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Most likley a Steatoda sp, the genera most often mistaken for Latrodectus. See my thread titled "Steatoda cricket massacre" in the "Other Arachnids" forum for some pics I took.

Wade

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Steatoda sp. most likley. See my thread "Steatoda cricket massacre" for pictures. I just answered this in the Insect Forum ;) as well.

Wade

biznacho

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Originally posted by D-Man
I saw the same special. it was that animals of the future show on discovery channel. It seemed to be based more off of science fiction than science fact.(sorry for being cliche) i was a good looking program though. I like the look of this one, all silverish. to bad spiders scare the crap out of me. the smaller they are the more they freak me out.

biznacho

That_Guy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Originally posted by biznacho
I saw the same special. it was that animals of the future show on discovery channel. It seemed to be based more off of science fiction than science fact.(sorry for being cliche) i was a good looking program though. I like the look of this one, all silverish. to bad spiders scare the crap out of me. the smaller they are the more they freak me out.

biznacho
wussy ;P I only get scared when I dont see them and they jump at me.

The wussy up top was right.

Ciphor

Arachnoprince
Steatoda, sorry.
Dude you have got to start checking the dates on the posts of threads your replying too. I mean the first 5 were kinda funny, but seeing it every day is getting older then the threads you're replying to.

The date it was posted is above the avatar (the picture and information on left side of post, where your name is.)

This was posted on 05-18-2003 07:13 PM

Peter_Parker

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
At least you can tell he has a taste for widows, since all the posts he resurrected have to do with them LOL :razz: