Is there such a thing as molting season?

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Mine seem to do it within 3 months of each other. Have we unwittingly caused a "molting season" by keeping them in captivity and adjusting their natural "time clock?"

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
hmm

Good question lam, 3 of my slings molted the past 2 weeks as well!
2 P.cambridgei slings
1 B.albopilosum sling
Really weird! What molted in your care? This is neat, anyone else with these weird molting patterns? I guess may might me molting season?

James:?

Static_69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
ooo maybe that means mine are going to molt soon too!

Risto

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Its probably from being kept under the same temps, humidity and feeding schedule.

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i dont think its the same as with the females-on-the-same-schedule deal (thats with hormones and chemicals released in the air)...

it may be just the same conditions that they're kept on...

who knows :)
peace
dave

abstract

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
3/4 of my spides molted in a week

I have 4 spiders that i've accumulated since Jan - and had been dying to see them molt - but they didn't for the longest time.

So last week I leave town for a few days, and upon my arrival noticed my Juv. P. Irminia had molted and I missed it!

Yesterday, I got home from work to find my curlyhair sling on its back....After he was done, I went to the new Matrix movie, and when I came back my A. Versicolor juvie was molting too!!!! Almost 4 months without a molt, to 3 in one week, 2 in a night!:?

Totally random idea: I've heard of women who spend a lot of time around eachother sharing meunstration cycles - could this happen with spides and their molting???? Does that mean that at least 3 of my 4 are women? (I see dave just referenced this....)

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
no no no no, in my senior graduate year, my group focused on symbiotic-hormone sharing between females.

FULLY different thing. I think. Actually, we really don't know about T's -- Might be interesting to study (for an entomologist?).

But, personally, I don't think this is the case. I think in the T cases, its more of a shared-environmental-conditions type thing rather than a hormonal/chemical thing.

but then again, this would be a VERY intersting area to study in entomology/arachnology/biology.

anyone else want to see the ARACHNOPETS THEORY OF SHARED MOLTING in the T world? =D ;P

peace
dave

invadermike

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
3 of my 5 tarantulas all molted within a 2 week span. Molting season though, i don't think so because they molt as they grow... but who knows.
Mike

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
I think we have created an artificial environment for them... how else could you explain my 5 curly slings, 1 costa rican red sling, 1 GBB sling, and various size/species/sex of adults ALL molting within a 2 month period?

And right now, artificial spring is in the air!

:rolleyes:

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I was wondering the same thing when I saw this thread. I have had 6 of my T's molt in the last 3 weeks or so. 4 were slings and the other 2 were adult to sub-adult. Makes ya wonder if this type of thing happens in the wild:?

I was thinking it could also be the weather, it's getting better and it has been warmer in the house lately. Maybe their clocks are speeding up.

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
I've noticed an amazing number of my slings molting these past few days, too. Since it's full moon phase right now, it's almost enough to make me wonder if there isn't some connection there after all. The idea that most moltings coincide with the full moon has been a popular one ever since I've been in the hobby, though a few years ago when I took the time to tabulate all my molts for a full year I found I actually got slightly more during the first quarter moon phase.

Joy

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i have to say that a couple of my slings are starting to ready themselves for molting (when both a gigas and an Usumbara let crickets walk on top of them, you know its molt time :) )

i'm thinking 2 weeks till molt time!

i can't wait!

although my B.albo's are munching down like nothing!

maybe spring really is rebirth time? =D

peace
dave

Static_69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
maybe it is finally time for my juvie a. moderatum to finally molt!
she's been in pre-molt with a black abdomen forever.

Risto

SoCalKyle

Arachnopeon
Im still waiting for one of my A. Versicolors slings to molt. Its so nerve racking. ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Ok i feel better

Static_69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i've learned to be patient with my a. moderatum...seeing as she's been in pre-molt for like 3 months now...darn those a. moderatums and their extremely slow growth rate!

Risto

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
I've had two molt in the last week, and my B. smithi unexpectedly went black-bottomed last night as well. I think it has more to do with the raise in temperatures and amount of daytime signaling the beginning of the warmer season - and the time they need to be at their 'freshest'.

Bill

Bry

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I thought I would add something related to this, but it's not about spiders. I've noticed that my snakes caged close to each other seem more likely to enter shed cycles approximately the same time. But, if they're moved across the room, their shed cycles tend to occur at different times. Might be something interesting to experiment with multiple Ts.

Bry