Is there such a thing as a "white" morph of G. rosea?

starlight_kitsune

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I got told something the other day by a guy at the local pet store that I'm majorly side-eying. I tried to look it up and found nothing so I'm thinking the person is full of it, but I wanted to ask to give him the benefit of the doubt for a second since I've been out of the hobby completely for the better part of 10 years and I may just be uninformed/out of the loop at this point.

Is there a white hair morph of G. rosea? He called it a white hair rose hair and said it was still G. rosea that he won't sell for less than $400. Also claimed to breed only "rare" tarantulas and own over 300 of them but besides the white hair he didn't name a single T he owns. The only tarantulas I'm finding called white hair are a different species altogether.

Honestly I'm pretty sure he was just messing with me and doing the "oh so you like tarantulas, name 20 species alphabetically by scientific names." thing based off the rest of the conversation. (Another part of the conversation included him talking about avics burrowing) I'm nonconfrontational anymore and we were just there for tortoise supplies anyways, so I just kind of smiled and nodded my way through the conversation before going about my business.

Editing to add: I have no intention of buying this tarantula he talked about from him. I'm just curious what it is/if it actually exists. I'm at my limit for the moment on new Ts until this semester ends.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It's so rare, he's the only one on the planet who has heard of one to my knowledge. Sounds like garbage to me.

Burrowing Avics- stupid garbage

starlight_kitsune

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It's so rare, he's the only one on the planet who has heard of one to my knowledge. Sounds like garbage to me.

Yeah, that's basically what I was thinking lol. I figured I'd ask just to give him the tiniest bit of the benefit of the doubt since I've been out of the hobby the better part of the last ten years. He seemed like the type to be very loud and very wrong though so I was pretty sure of the answer.

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
I have 5 of them that bring me my slippers and the newspaper from the door matt every morning.
They are trained killers though so i don't let people come see them. Too dangerous.
I'll sell you one for $399. Bitcoin only

Sterls

Arachnobaron
Grammostola sp North is white-ish I believe. I wouldn't really call them white based on pictures I've seen - hopefully somebody that's kept them can chime in. It seems like the most likely case if it i actually a super special Grammostola. Doesn't seem like he knows anything though. It's probably just a normal rosea.

cold blood

Staff member
There are NO rosea morphs.

At one time we believed there were, but now the morphs are all known by their own species.....the rcf is rosea....the ncf is G. porteri (or sometimes sp. north")......all are commonly known as rose hairs, but are actually different species that should be kept apart when breeding.

There isnt any Grammostola that's white.

I would guess is was a common A. chalcodes as they can have a white carapace and care and pretty much everything about it would mimic rose hairs.

You were right to question the so called store expert.

starlight_kitsune

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Grammostola sp North is white-ish I believe. I wouldn't really call them white based on pictures I've seen - hopefully somebody that's kept them can chime in. It seems like the most likely case if it i actually a super special Grammostola. Doesn't seem like he knows anything though. It's probably just a normal rosea.
That may be what he was referring to. I'll see if I can't get him to show off a photo of it the next time I'm there so I can see what it looks like. I'm not positive it exists however.

At one time we believed there were, but now the morphs are all known by their own species.....the rcf is rosea....the ncf is G. porteri (or sometimes sp. north")......all are commonly known as rose hairs, but are actually different species that should be kept apart when breeding.

I would guess is was a common A. chalcodes as they can have a white carapace and care and pretty much everything about it would mimic rose hairs.

Thank you, hopefully if one of those is what he has he's not trying to interbreed anything. I'll see if I can't get him to show me a photo next time I'm there. Then I'll have a better idea what he's on about, if it even exists and he wasn't just saying things to say things.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
For a good reference to the Grammostola species of Chile, check out the following site. It is in Spanish so using the Chrome browser with the Google Translate plug-in helps for viewing in English without any trouble.

Last edited:

Royalty

Arachnoknight

Even my avic sling never burrowed like most of my other "arboreals"

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Iburrowing avicularia.......and you think anything he says is credible?? I bet he’s got a neon pink OBT too

starlight_kitsune

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Iburrowing avicularia.......and you think anything he says is credible?? I bet he’s got a neon pink OBT too
I sincerely doubted he had a clue about anything tarantula or husbandry related to be honest. But I also figured it didn't hurt to ask and check if there was a tarantula I just hadn't heard of before. Even fools are right sometimes.

Even my avic sling never burrowed like most of my other "arboreals"
Yeah I've literally never heard of an avic digging lol.

I'm pretty sure he was intentionally messing with me and just saying wild things to get me to correct him or say something. He got mildly peeved when we first walked in and I said no, I didn't need help, which he insisted upon trying to give anyways. We were just there for some stuff for my partner's tortoises and to get an in person look at an enclosure I've been debating modifying for my avic.

starlight_kitsune

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
@starlight_kitsune welcome back to the hobby :Dmight as well research a t to buy
Thank you!

I'm actually back up to four again, including my first spiderling, currently deciding what I want for number 5 and researching that! Thinking its time for me to get an old world again, or at least a species I haven't tried before. All my current batch are new worlds. :) I had a P. cambridgei before and loved her, but she was older when I got her, She was at least 11 as her previous owner had her for that long before me, so I didn't get much time/experience with her.

Arachnid Addicted

Arachnoprince

There aren't NO scientifical confirmation for any of these claims you stated, except, perhaps, for the "white hairs rosea".

We, in the hobby, can't say what real G. porteri looks like simply because scientifically, their type might be lost.

We, in the hobby, can't say there are NO morphs in the group, simply because, the genus needs a revision, and scientifically, there aren't any confirmation on those "undescribed" specimens like sp. "North", as you mentioned.

We, in the hobby, also can't say for sure that sp. "North", is G. porteri, simply because of the matters I stated above.

So, when it comes to Grammostola, we in the hobby, can't make any statement, simply because the genus is still a mess, to any of them, chilean ones, brazilian ones, uruguayan ones, etc.

Unfortunately, it is what it is. 🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️😂

Last edited:

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
Thank you!

I'm actually back up to four again, including my first spiderling, currently deciding what I want for number 5 and researching that! Thinking its time for me to get an old world again, or at least a species I haven't tried before. All my current batch are new worlds. :) I had a P. cambridgei before and loved her, but she was older when I got her, She was at least 11 as her previous owner had her for that long before me, so I didn't get much time/experience with her.
i vote p muticus then for you new ow :rofl:

starlight_kitsune

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i vote p muticus then for you new ow :rofl:
Lol, my P. cambridgei was a freaking eight legged pet rock she was so chill. Pretty sure she missed the memo on how she was supposed to behave. Or she was so ancient she was out of craps to give lol. I'm not sure I'm up for going from her as my only experience with OWs to one of those lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Lol, my P. cambridgei was a freaking eight legged pet rock she was so chill. Pretty sure she missed the memo on how she was supposed to behave. Or she was so ancient she was out of craps to give lol. I'm not sure I'm up for going from her as my only experience with OWs to one of those lol.
P. cam isn't actually an OW, just a good stepping stone NW to OW, just FYI.

There aren't NO scientifical confirmation for any of these claims you stated, except, perhaps, for the "white hairs rosea".

We, in the hobby, can't say what real G. porteri looks like simply because scientifically, their type might be lost.

We, in the hobby, can't say there are NO morphs in the group, simply because, the genus needs a revision, and scientifically, there aren't any confirmation on those "undescribed" specimens like sp. "North", as you mentioned.

We, in the hobby, also can't say for sure that sp. "North", is G. porteri, simply because of the matters I stated above.

So, when it comes to Grammostola, we in the hobby, can't make any statement, simply because the genus is still a mess, to any of them, chilean ones, brazilian ones, uruguayan ones, etc.

Unfortunately, it is what it is. 🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️😂
Correct. Basically the only thing we can do as hobbyists is try to keep localities and morphs separate so we don't accidently produce hybrids.

Last edited by a moderator: