is there a big difference?

neanyoe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i'm wondering.. new to the hobby and currently collecting Ts.. anyway, Whats the difference in the Avic. Avic and the Avic. Versicolor?

they look similar to me and from the same species..
any info?

wondering cause i want to purchase either or soon.

Slash

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
They are different species, they do share the same genus, however.:)

They are quite similar...both need very arboreal set-ups, and have similar temp. and humidity requirements. They both need good ventilation too.

I don't have either, but personally I'd go for a versicolor, just for how it looks...quite pretty...but they both are too.:)

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
An A.avicularia is basically black and an A.versicolor is bright red/purple.

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Did you read the rules about posting other peoples pics.

1.At different times after molts colors will change.

2.If you could see these in person you would see the difference.

3.Spiders are like people, we don't all look the same.

4.Color is a bad way to determine species.

By-Tor

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hey neanyoe
be careful about putting up picture that aren't yours, like the one from swifts there, i know your new but i don't think i'll be the last oen to mention it over the next few minutes but...Copyright infringement blah blah blah, just credit the photographer

kyrga

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
1.At different times after molts colors will change.

2.If you could see these in person you would see the difference.

3.Spiders are like people, we don't all look the same.

4.Color is a bad way to determine species.
What he said, they go through many color changes throughout their lives, I believe this is especially true with a. versi. Check out pics of avics as slings versus them as adults, you'll see what I mean.

Also, I've heard that the avicularia genus is "screwed up". That may have something to do with it? Maybe someone more experienced could confirm or deny this.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
versicolor is supposed to be the more fragile and prone to "random unexplained death," too.

neanyoe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ok. Yeah sorry i did read about the rules but that was a while ago .. so i totally forgot.
Never will do that again, i apologize :wall:

anyway, so which species( A.avic or A.versi) would any one recommend?

By-Tor

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i've heard it isn't the hardiest genus and that versicolors are frailer as slings than some of the other avics.... the first sling i got was a versi color and it's been fine, i went with coloration for my choice

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
they are differant but the same lol
i have a metallica and the only differance i can tell right now from avic avic is the white tips on the toes lol
but then again im waiting for a molt shold be any day now i think

and by the way. if anyone on the boards needs to use my pix they are welcome to use them in thier post as long as you dont use mine to make money im not too worried bout it lol if you want to use them for money toss me a bone lol

Tescos

Banned
Old Timer
i'm wondering.. new to the hobby and currently collecting Ts.. anyway, Whats the difference in the Avic. Avic and the Avic. Versicolor?

they look similar to me and from the same species..
any info?

wondering cause i want to purchase either or soon.
Hi
they are both different species but only one of them can you buy, and be more or less certin of it being the species you brought it as.;)
cheers
Chris

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Hi
they are both different species but only one of them can you buy, and be more or less certin of it being the species you brought it as.;)
cheers
Chris
what? could you repeat that auf deutsche