Is she in premolt?

LiamG

Arachnopeon
This is my Gramastola pulchripes, I have had her for about 5 month's she has not molted in my care yet. She hasn't been eating for the past 2 months now and has became mutch less active than when I got her. Im just curious if you expert's (compared to me) maybe knows if she is in premolt.
I know its hard to tell if a T is in premolt buy pictures and a total noob explanation, it's not that serious i know T's just go on hunger strikes so im just a curious owner. lol 20210508_162909.jpg 20210508_162905.jpg 20210508_162900.jpg

Just reading it back now, so much grammar mistakes :rofl:

The Spider House

Arachnobaron
I am saying not yet in premoult. If you look at the skin where the hair has been flicked*, it is still beige/brown. When you see that skin turn darker and almost grey/black like, it's in premoult as that is the new hair forming.
Can still be months with many species (incl. Grammostola) before the actual moult though.
Spiders will often not eat for prolonged periods of time. Just make sure an open and full water dish is always available. 🙂

*about the only positive of a bald butt is that you can usually see when the spider is going in to premoult.

LiamG

Arachnopeon
I am saying not yet in premoult. If you look at the skin where the hair has been flicked*, it is still beige/brown. When you see that skin turn darker and almost grey/black like, it's in premoult as that is the new hair forming.
Can still be months with many species (incl. Grammostola) before the actual moult though.
Spiders will often not eat for prolonged periods of time. Just make sure an open and full water dish is always available. 🙂

*about the only positive of a bald butt is that you can usually see when the spider is going in to premoult.
Thanks mutch appreciated.

Spoodfood

Feeder of Spoods
Arachnosupporter
Maybe, maybe not. Grammostola species fast sometimes for much longer than that so regardless I wouldn’t stress over it. And she’s plump so she’s a far ways off from starving or anything.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
This is my Gramastola pulchripes, I have had her for about 5 month's she has not molted in my care yet. She hasn't been eating for the past 2 months now and has became mutch less active than when I got her. Im just curious if you expert's (compared to me) maybe knows if she is in premolt.
I know its hard to tell if a T is in premolt buy pictures and a total noob explanation, it's not that serious i know T's just go on hunger strikes so im just a curious owner. lol View attachment 384173 View attachment 384172 View attachment 384171
I own an AF of this species.

Maybe

sasker

Arachnoprince
When you see that skin turn darker and almost grey/black like, it's in premoult as that is the new hair forming.
That's not exactly accurate, sorry. The stage in the moulting cycle that we call 'premoult' is the period leading up to the actual moult during which the tarantula stops eating. This can take days, weeks and sometimes months. The darkening of the skin on the abdomen happens right before the actual moult (depending on the size of the tarantula, this can be a day or five). When you see a significant change in colour towards black, you know a moult is imminent.

So, to answer OPs question: it may be in premoult, it may not be. The picture says nothing. Only if the skin on the abdomen is black, one could say it is definitely premoult and it will moult within a few days.

It is also possible that your tarantula is taking a break. In the winter months, when my apartment is a bit cooler, I sometimes have tarantulas that stop eating. But when the temps go up again in spring, the start eating again. I recommend attempting to feed once a month. Or in another three months from now. It won't harm your tarantula. It's not malnourished or anything ;)

LiamG

Arachnopeon
That's not exactly accurate, sorry. The stage in the moulting cycle that we call 'premoult' is the period leading up to the actual moult during which the tarantula stops eating. This can take days, weeks and sometimes months. The darkening of the skin on the abdomen happens right before the actual moult (depending on the size of the tarantula, this can be a day or five). When you see a significant change in colour towards black, you know a moult is imminent.

So, to answer OPs question: it may be in premoult, it may not be. The picture says nothing. Only if the skin on the abdomen is black, one could say it is definitely premoult and it will moult within a few days.

It is also possible that your tarantula is taking a break. In the winter months, when my apartment is a bit cooler, I sometimes have tarantulas that stop eating. But when the temps go up again in spring, the start eating again. I recommend attempting to feed once a month. Or in another three months from now. It won't harm your tarantula. It's not malnourished or anything ;)
Yes you are most likely right, it is now getting colder as we in South Africa are approaching winter. So most likely the weather may be a factor, luckily my room stays above 20c or about 65f.
I am somewhat new to tarantulas but have realized quickly to be patient with them 😂. Their going to to wat they want nothing I can do about it😂.

Thanks alot for your time and knowledge 🙌

The Spider House

Arachnobaron

I understand that, my point was more like what you said further down, don't expect expect anything soon as no darkening of the skin.

I agree probably having a break from feeding as she has a big booty. Ha ha