Is she dead ?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
This is not the first incedent of my cat messing with her and getting her out
Honestly you’re the problem. As an owner of cats myself I have never done the following

1. Allowed my cats in proximity to Ts- the fact you didn’t separate was 100% your fault, not a smart idea at all, I’m shocked at your “logic” on this :rolleyes: :banghead:

The above is common sense.

2. Recognized cats having hunting in their genetics, instinctual hunters!!!!!!
3. Most of all, the fact this has happened BEFORE, and continues to happen I find extremely irresponsible of you based on what I’ve read thus far.
4. You didn’t buy a new setup that works— why???

I suggest you really find methods to prevent this, or you stop owning Ts or cats. You’re just killing Ts, trivializing their lives at this point.

Let’s face it, the only animal of the 2 suffering is the tarantula not the human animal.

If your cat or baby escaped and was almost hit by a car, would you keep doing the same behavior that lead to the escape, like you do with your T? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Aperison444

Arachnopeon
it is all very much your fault dont put it on the cat for following its instincts" This is not the first incedent of my cat messing with her and getting her out. The last time I found Tokka alive under the couch so I tried to secure the tank better but my cat broke through it and now I'm not so sure Tokka is alive . " you had the chance to buy a new tank after the first time your cat got into the ts cage you chose not to and the t paid the price for the choice you made
Look u don't gotta be a jerk, I've said many times it's all my fault and I meant it was the cat that killed Tokka not because of something that my house sitter did . I'm really really upset about it I had nightmares about coming home to find them both dead all night . I woke up crying so I just get on here because last night people were respectful and encouraging and now it's so much worse . I know I said in previous post that I'm on vacation but the fact is I'm out of state because a family member is sick and it's also another's funeral this week so all that combined is very difficult . We had to all get on a plane last minute.yeah it is all my fault and I feel like I'll never get over this . And all I can do is cry right now . I'm just gonna unfollow this stupid post . Came in here to cope .now I'm leaving feeling like I just cant . I have so much guilt and people have told me to be easy on myself but I can't .

Last edited by a moderator:

Table

Arachnosquire
My cat isn't allowed in my T room, iv watched her try and knock over two enclosures. I was like nope, and put a door on the room. people on the form can be quite blunt I'm sure no disrespect was meant. in all honestly as long as you learned a very important lesson the really hard way, its not all bad. Cats are natoriuse enclosure knockers just try and keep them separate. I'm really sorry about ur T and I hope its loss does not discourage you.

BTW you should Def try and preserve her, if you can't there are alot of people who do.

Aperison444

Arachnopeon
Honestly you’re the problem. As an owner of cats myself I have never done the following

1. Allowed my cats in proximity to Ts- the fact you didn’t separate was 100% your fault, not a smart idea at all, I’m shocked at your “logic” on this :rolleyes: :banghead:

The above is common sense.

2. Recognized cats having hunting in their genetics, instinctual hunters!!!!!!
3. Most of all, the fact this has happened BEFORE, and continues to happen I find extremely irresponsible of you based on what I’ve read thus far.
4. You didn’t buy a new setup that works— why???

I suggest you really find methods to prevent this, or you stop owning Ts or cats. You’re just killing Ts, trivializing their lives at this point.

Let’s face it, the only animal of the 2 suffering is the tarantula not the human animal.

If your cat or baby escaped and was almost hit by a car, would you keep doing the same behavior that lead to the escape, like you do with your T? :rolleyes:
I'm not "killing tarantulas" what the actual heck and I took measures to fix the tank because I knew it seemed faulty. And I had to leave state very quickly to see my human family and plane tickets for 3 aren't cheap hence no new tank . I've been happily living with all my pets together for quite some time now . So it's not like just put tokka back in her tank as is and went ok now I'm gonna leave ... I dont know how my cat got through again because I'm not there and it's so hard not being there. I've had my house sitter separate the other T from the rest of the house where my cat is. And I understand that you never let ur T's and cats mix but in my house my cat and other T have actually lived peacefully together for several years and there's never been a problem so I didn't know it would be . Scarlett is our only tarantula now and we love her so very much and would never want anything to happen to her . what's up with all u people talking down to me? I know that I made a mistake by leaving them in the same room together from the first incident before I left the house to travel I meant to put them in separate rooms but I didn't because of all the stuff going on with my family. One sick brother and one dead uncle. Your mind would be forgetful too if u had all that going on .I know that the cat has hunting instincts. I've had her along time and she's very curious . But she also totally chill before we got this T in particular so it makes me not want to even get more like I wanted so that's more than likely what will end up happening. I'm so deviated with everything going on like what the hell. And I know Tokka was probably terrified when she died . I can't imagine having a big huge cat swat me to death . I FEEL AWFUL !! I cant stop imagining the scenario in my head and how scared ass he was I even had nightmares all last night . And I wake up to this crap . I'm so done here at least the first person to respond last night was respectful . Now I'm just reading posts from jerks who think I'm a malicious tarantula killer .

Last edited by a moderator:

Tbcshroom

Arachnopeon
I'm not "killing tarantulas" what the actual heck and I took measures to fix the tank because I knew it seemed faulty. And I had to leave state very quickly to see my human family and plane tickets for 3 aren't cheap hence no new tank . I've been happily living with all my pets together for quite some time now . So it's not like just put tokka back in her tank as is and went ok now I'm gonna leave ... I dont know how my cat got through again because I'm not there and it's so hard not being there. I've had my house sitter separate the other T from the rest of the house where my cat is. And I understand that you never let ur T's and cats mix but in my house my cat and other T have actually lived peacefully together for several years and there's never been a problem so I didn't know it would be . Scarlett is our only tarantula now and we love her so very much and would never want anything to happen to her . what's up with all u people talking down to me? I know that I made a mistake by leaving them in the same room together from the first incident before I left the house to travel I meant to put them in separate rooms but I didn't because of all the stuff going on with my family. One sick brother and one dead uncle. Your mind would be forgetful too if u had all that going on .I know that the cat has hunting instincts. I've had her along time and she's very curious . But she also totally chill before we got this T in particular so it makes me not want to even get more like I wanted so that's more than likely what will end up happening. I'm so deviated with everything going on like what the hell. And I know Tokka was probably terrified when she died . I can't imagine having a big huge cat swat me to death . I FEEL AWFUL !! I cant stop imagining the scenario in my head and how scared ass he was I even had nightmares all last night . And I wake up to this crap . I'm so done here at least the first person to respond last night was respectful . Now I'm just reading posts from jerks who think I'm a malicious tarantula killer .

Maybe you arent a malicious tarantula killer but your cat has a history of messing with this specific T. It only takes a second to move a T enclosure and you should have moved it to an area where the cat couldn't mess with it.

I dont think anyone is coming down on you to hard. If anything they're ensuring that in the future you're aware of your animals wellbeing. Your T is a living being that you've decided to care for, and as such you should have had the presence of mind to ensure its safety.

I hope you dont stop keeping Ts, however, going forward I hope you'll treat them the same way you would any other creature you've decided to care for. Use this as a learning experience.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
@Aperison444 As someone who is "new" to cats over the course of the last two years since getting into a new relationship, making adjustments to my arthhropod/inverterbrate/arachhnid keeping has been a change, whhats important is you learn from this. You have no othher choice because it will continue to hhappen. But thhis is not the cats fault. Ollie our young 2-3yr old black cat is thhe only cat interested in my critters and I had to make a choice not to keep roach colonies after he got into the colonies and about 100 Blaptica dubia and Gromphadorhina portentosa got out, and thhen after I happened :troll:. and kncoked more over while cleaning a bin :wacky: You have to put them up in a way they cant get to, all of my T's are mostly in places that he cant get to or see. You need to put them up or in places it cant get to like in a closet or in shelving unit that there is noway to get into to knock over. I put up a shhelving wall unit whhere the thhe height between shelves is too small for the cat to get onto and too full of my geological pieces and now all of my slings are safe from hhis hunting wrath (I got all thhe stuff for the wall shelving unit at one of the big box chain Home improvement stores, my larger guys go on a shhelf high up in my room or on my desk but the enclosures cant get knocked over or be gotten into. I used to hhave things on a storage rack before but the shelves were too big and too tall in between shhelves and he would constantly try and get onto them and swat at the roach bins, t's or mantids. So you have to make a change, it is IMPERATIVE you make change as soon as you get home, since readjusting our cat has become muchh less interested in everything because he cant get to them, and I have had zero incedents since that adjustment. There are also small and large oragnizer units that are modular and have select dimesion openings like cubes that you can put an enclosure in thhat a cat cant get inside of, I will be picking up two more of them today at "wally world"
Example of shhelving unit I put up thhat I keep my slings on/in.
. IMG_8038.jpg

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
Look u don't gotta be a jerk, I've said many times it's all my fault and I meant it was the cat that killed Tokka not because of something that my house sitter did . I'm really really upset about it I had nightmares about coming home to find them both dead all night . I woke up crying so I just get on here because last night people were respectful and encouraging and now it's so much worse . I know I said in previous post that I'm on vacation but the fact is I'm out of state because a family member is sick and it's also another's funeral this week so all that combined is very difficult . We had to all get on a plane last minute.yeah it is all my fault and I feel like I'll never get over this . And all I can do is cry right now . I'm just gonna unfollow this stupid post . Came in here to cope .now I'm leaving feeling like I just cant . I have so much guilt and people have told me to be easy on myself but I can't .
sorry to read about your families loss and health of the other but i will stand by my first response that was made in with what information i had available in your first few posts

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
Unfortunate. I feel bad for the poor tarantula. You were so so lucky the first time that the cat didn't kill Tokka. I can't be sympathetic when you got a second chance and you didn't do what was necessary to correct it.
100% your negligence that got the T killed.

We all know what cats are like and now you do as well. All you can do is not make the same mistakes again.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
By the way, thanks for including the shelf pic. That’s what I plan to redo mine similar too. I just have to find a desk I like for the corner and then figure out the track placement and length first. Right now I just have the individual wall brackets which are fine, but zero adjustability.

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
I second the call for a high, inaccessible shelf and/or a separate room with a closed door. I have two cats, and I'm confident that the only reason they haven't murdered my leggy friends is because they're physically incapable of accessing them.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
So I can't get it off my mind. My husband are on vacation and I have a friend watching the house and taking care of the pets. We don't return for a week and my cat somehow infiltrated the tank and got to my young Mexican red knee..my cat might have scooped her out but I don't know ..I don't know if she fell from the table about 2 ft..my house sitter found my spider on the floor on her back with 3 legs missing but no damage to the abdomen or anything else and she said the spider appears dead . I believe Tokka was in pre molt before we left because she wasn't eating. And I wish I could just go back to be with her to look at her more closely but I don't know if she's dead . Could she be scared and playing dead because my cat batted her around and she lost her legs or is it all over for my sweet Tokka 😭😭😭😭😭 I'm so sad and this is all I can do right now is ask. She put tokka in a different tank still on her back . Seems the cage I brought was faulty. Because the other ones I have have never broken . Oh this is so awful. This is not the first incedent of my cat messing with her and getting her out. The last time I found Tokka alive under the couch so I tried to secure the tank better but my cat broke through it and now I'm not so sure Tokka is alive .

View attachment 384767
So unfortunately you now have learned that cats and tarantulas don't mix.

I hate cats myself but they are useful for finding an escaped old world T that you can never find on your own and that's where it stops.

If you keep tarantulas and cats then you should have a room where the T's are kept that a cat cannot get into.

Spider937372

Arachnopeon
If only you had put as much effort into your T's wellbeing as you do in writing long posts making excuses for yourself, while wallowing in self pity.
Although on second thought, maybe you do indeed put as much effort into it as you do into spelling and punctuation.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
By the way, thanks for including the shelf pic. That’s what I plan to redo mine similar too. I just have to find a desk I like for the corner and then figure out the track placement and length first. Right now I just have the individual wall brackets which are fine, but zero adjustability.
Yeah no problem!! It took awhile to get level amd even with eachother for all 4 metal mounting bars but it was well worth it!! yeah I thought about doing the individual ones but I felt doing the adjustable track system made more sense. I’m sure there are cheaper methods than what I did, but I like it and the shelves are 10in deep and adjustable so it was worth it for me.

starlight_kitsune

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've lost a T before to a cat thanks to an inconsiderate and self-centered family member who felt the need to move their enclosure out of the cabinet in order to reach something perfectly reachable with them still in there and then didn't put them BACK in the cabinet. It sucks, but it was still 100% my fault for not preventing access to them from either the cat or roommate. All you can do at this point is wait until you get home or your house sitter reports that the spider is death curling or moving around to see if they make it or not. But it doesn't sound hopeful unfortunately, I'm sorry.

When you say the cage was defective, what do you mean? If we know what went wrong with it we can give advice on how to repair the tank or avoid what went wrong with it happening again in the future. In addition, do make 100% sure your cat and tarantulas are never ever in the same room again. I'm sure hindsight has taught you that you should have done that before this happened. If you can't get them into separate rooms, I recommend some type of cabinet you can see into to keep your spiders safe.

Last edited: