Is she dead or molting?

ladyeofmanynames

Arachnopeon
I got her yesterday evening feom a reputable reptile store. She ate 2 crickets. Brought her home. Kept her in the container she came in. She was acting weird, 1 to 2 feet up in the air, shaking, and she went from friendly to kinda snippy. Found a comfortable hideout for her and she was contorting, moving around, or just lying there, and she stayed in it for a couple of hours. And then found her outside of it, as in the first video. Went to sleep. The pics are from this morning.
From what I read here, I'm questioning it.
Thank you in advance.

Attachments

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Ouch looks dead rip , I got no clue how to care for those things so I’m not able to help . Camel spiders. :sad:

attenboroughii

Arachnosquire
If you poke it and it doesn't move at all, I think it is dead.
I don't know the main cause of death because I don't know how it looked when I bought it, but I sense a problem with the environment in which it was kept.
The species is sensitive to high humidity, so it should be kept in a dry environment with plenty of air holes to allow for good ventilation.
No watering hole is necessary. It takes in water from its food.

We have recently discovered that feeding crickets as food can cause sudden death for some reason.
This does not always happen, but it is safer to feed yellow Solifuae such as Galeodes and Paragaleodes with millworms or cockroaches, while Rhagodes are safe to feed.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
If you poke it and it doesn't move at all, I think it is dead.
I don't know the main cause of death because I don't know how it looked when I bought it, but I sense a problem with the environment in which it was kept.
The species is sensitive to high humidity, so it should be kept in a dry environment with plenty of air holes to allow for good ventilation.
No watering hole is necessary. It takes in water from its food.

We have recently discovered that feeding crickets as food can cause sudden death for some reason.
This does not always happen, but it is safer to feed yellow Solifuae such as Galeodes and Paragaleodes with millworms or cockroaches, while Rhagodes are safe to feed.
They live in the desert correct ✅ ? Poor thing prob felt like it got dropped into a rainforest. Are they hard to care for kept dry? Such unique looking things .! :artist: Are you saying a water dish is overkill and not needed wow those are tough arachnids/w/e they are !

attenboroughii

Arachnosquire
I feel it is not a good idea to feed crickets immediately after importation, after molting, after spawning, and especially on an empty stomach.
It does not always happen. Also, if a certain amount of other food is given before the crickets are fed, it may not be a problem.
If a problem occurs, they will be in this twitching state.
View attachment hiyoke20220615.mp4

Sometimes they recover from this state, but when this happens, they usually die.
I am still not sure why this happens, as this theory is a surprise to me as well.
Galeodes can be raised on millworms and I recommend this food.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I feel it is not a good idea to feed crickets immediately after importation, after molting, after spawning, and especially on an empty stomach.
It does not always happen. Also, if a certain amount of other food is given before the crickets are fed, it may not be a problem.
If a problem occurs, they will be in this twitching state.
View attachment 447336

Sometimes they recover from this state, but when this happens, they usually die.
I am still not sure why this happens, as this theory is a surprise to me as well.
Galeodes can be raised on millworms and I recommend this food.
Is there something in commercial crickets that poison these camel spiders? Like what they’re fed or their genetics that aren’t natural ? Something a tougher arachnid can eat like scorpions/ts but a solfuge dies from ?
lots of stuff is so new to the hobby it’s like unknown ? years ago these were rumored to be 12” but that was a hoax and rumored as ferocious but they are fragile and lot isn’t known about them.

attenboroughii

Arachnosquire
Is there something in commercial crickets that poison these camel spiders? Like what they’re fed or their genetics that aren’t natural ? Something a tougher arachnid can eat like scorpions/ts but a solfuge dies from ?
lots of stuff is so new to the hobby it’s like unknown ? years ago these were rumored to be 12” but that was a hoax and rumored as ferocious but they are fragile and lot isn’t known about them.
I do not know. Sometimes after feeding crickets, they have convulsions and die within half a day to a day.
I don't think this is a coincidence, but I am not going to conduct another experiment on this.