Is my spider stupid?

Robinm

Arachnopeon
Hello again all.

I've not had a L Violaceopes before (Singapore Blue), they are funny. I have a correct sized arboreal enclosure, the correct humidity and heat, clean substrate etc. as I do with all my T's. I have been keeping T's for about 25 years.

This particular T was bought from the BTS national show for £45 as a juvenile Female, you might remember it had strange black 'bobbles' on it's abdomen before it's last moult, it now looks completely normal post moult, except it now sits outside on the ground in the corner and doesn't move. It's nice dark wood bark tube (which it used to permanently hide in and not come out, ever) is available right next to her.. She does eat and isn't dehydrated or curling.

I think she's stupid. What do you think?

Attachments

Last edited:

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
Oh you should see my P. metallica female. I give her a beautiful cork slab, and she builds an avic style web tunnel!

Last edited:

Walker253

Arachnobaron
Yep, stupid. Funny, I feed dubia. They are more intelligent than the tarantulas eating them. It's not supposed to be that way.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
She's just not hungry, man. Doesn't exist an hungry Theraphosidae that will refuse crickets... B.dubia, yes. But not crickets.

Belegnole

Tarantula Guy
Old Timer
Unfortunately the answer is yes. Your spider is stupid.

Of course so are all of mine. They don't really have much of a brain and run mostly on instinct.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
You only have yourself to blame. I give an IQ test to every tarantula I'm considering before I purchase it. If you're too lazy to do that then I don't know what to tell you.

DeTwan

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If she is not eating I'd pull the crixits and she if she is in premolt or something

Paiige

Arachnobaron
Yes, it's very possible that your spider is stupid. If it makes you feel any better, I have a GBB that I also believe is quite stupid. I suspect he was taken from his mother too early and was never taught to be a proper tarantula, and was never sent to GBB school. It's very sad. Now I make sure Ts at least have their GED before I bring them home.

creepa

Arachnoknight
I see that you dont use a waterbowl of some kind..., (neither do i) so might this be the corner that you pour the water in??

My spiders some times sit in the wet corner to rehydrate...

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Reminds me of buying a bed for my cat. She sleeps next to it, never in it :bored:
Not sure why (probably because it is so early and I am at work) but that statement followed by that emoticon face made me laugh out loud. XD

Side note: give the "In Captivity" section of the Wikipedia article on this species a read. It is ... interesting I guess is the word.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
Yes, it's very possible that your spider is stupid. If it makes you feel any better, I have a GBB that I also believe is quite stupid. I suspect he was taken from his mother too early and was never taught to be a proper tarantula, and was never sent to GBB school. It's very sad. Now I make sure Ts at least have their GED before I bring them home.
GBB school is quite expensive though. If you can't afford it just send it to generic spider school and hope that it doesn't end up being "that spider" that just sits at its desk eating paste.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
GBB school is quite expensive though. If you can't afford it just send it to generic spider school and hope that it doesn't end up being "that spider" that just sits at its desk eating paste.
I think that may have been my poor stupid boy eating paste :sorry: But all signs point to him dropping out very early on - he doesn't even know he's supposed to web :banghead:

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Maybe we need to stop calling the tarantulas stupid and look at the real source of the problem. Did you forget to put the signs in your enclosure?