is my scorp dying?

al885

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I came home today to check on him and he was on his side twitching and arching his back. i used something to pull him right side up and it looks like his sides are expanding and he's trying to do it. wahts going on?

Fergrim

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
hopefully he's molting and not dying.. and I hope skinhead dave or carpe or somebody comes here to respond quick :)

Fergrim

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Ugh.. I know my responses aren't very helpful.. but I'm hoping for the best for you here.. doesn't sound too good to me.. :/

al885

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
emperor and the only light was sunlight in the room since its been hot out

Scorpiove

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
If it is molting don't touch it anymore, you can cause serious damage. Just wait for awhile and see what happens.

Wolvie56X

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
whens the last time you misted the tank and fed it? and how big is it?

al885

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
k sorry i touched it, i thought it was dead when i saw it

Scorpiove

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Don't be sorry, ;) you didn't know. I hope you're scorpion is molting though rather than dying.

al885

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i think he is molting because the joints of his arms and legs are white and his abdomen part is getting bigger

Scorpiove

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have an emperor scorpion too who is currently in 4th instar. I'm expecting it to molt anyday now :). Don't worry about you're scorpion just make sure its humid and if he is molting he will be fine. It looks very weird when a scorpion molts compared to a tarantula.

al885

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Wolvie56X said:
whens the last time you misted the tank and fed it? and how big is it?
i mist the tank about once a day, and he hasnt accepted food in about 1.5 weeks. i held it right in front of him too with tweezers. i dont know how big he is

carpe scorpio

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Scorpiove said:
If it is molting don't touch it anymore, you can cause serious damage. Just wait for awhile and see what happens.
In my experience, any strange movements or postures when enclosure conditions are correct, are definitely cause for a "wait and see" approach. It will either molt, give birth or die, and in any case, any curious actions on my part have never been benificial. Best to make certain that no bright light or harsh vibrations will effect it as well. I hope that all turns out for the best.

carpe scorpio

Arachnoking
Old Timer
al885 said:
what are they supposed to do when they molt?
They will stop eating and hang out in one place,sometimes near a heat source or in the case of some species, they will seal themselves inside a burrow or scrape. You may also witness some subtle "pumping" movements just prior to the molt.

al885

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Im pretty sure it died, i woke up this morning to find it on its side, and its claw arm was bent in a direction that didnt look natural and he wasnt moving. i touched him and he didnt move, its limp as can be

carpe scorpio

Arachnoking
Old Timer
al885 said:
Im pretty sure it died, i woke up this morning to find it on its side, and its claw arm was bent in a direction that didnt look natural and he wasnt moving. i touched him and he didnt move, its limp as can be
I'm very sorry to hear that, you have my condolences. :(

al885

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I want to know why it died and if i did something wrong and caused it

carpe scorpio

Arachnoking
Old Timer
al885 said:
I want to know why it died and if i did something wrong and caused it
What was the usual temp and humidity in the tank?. What is the composition and origin of the substrate?. How often was it eating?, what water dish setup was used?. Was the enclosure in any direct sunlight?. Also, was the enclosure located in an area of the home where anyone might be spraying any aerosols?. How large was the scorpion?.