Is my H.Gigas Spiderling Moulting

timwaters2007

Arachnopeon
Well my first ever spiderlings got delivered today which i kept in little vials. My H.Gigas was tucked underneath its hide for most of the morning but when i noticed it was a bit cold in my room i put the vials on the stereo for a bit of warmth. About 5 minutes after i did this my h.gigas started walking around the whole of its tank webbing things up.....i thought it was making a burrow but soon after it stayed in one place wiggling upside down flailing its legs. Now its legs have stoped moving apart from every minute it moves a little. And im just wondering could my spiderling be struggling because its stuck or is it molting im not sure because ive never seen a spiderling molt and burrowers usually molt underground?

But i only got it today so if its molting allready that would be really cool.

mr_jacob7

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well, i'd have to say that spiders probably don't get stuck in their own web. that's like you getting stuck in your house. I also have to ask, Is your stereo on? cuz, that would be bad. as for the molting, i've no idea. we'll check out some other ppls' posts. :) kudos on the spiders, btw. welcome to the hobby!

timwaters2007

Arachnopeon
no its an old stereo its only turned on because my heat mat did not get sent with the stuff i ordered.

I knew full size tarantulas could not get stuck but spiderlings just seem so tiny that they might just get trapped.. lol

My a.avic also cant seem to climb misty glass. It goes up the dry bit but just stays near the bottom. I cant understand why there is condensation because the vermiculite is bone dry and only put 3 drops of water on the side?

Im wondering if i brought spiders at all...getting stuck in webs and cant climb.

MindUtopia

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I would say turn the stereo off if it is on. As long as your house is in the mid to upper 60s, heat shouldn't be a problem. I personally wouldn't use a heat mat with slings anyway because it can easily overheat them and dehydrate them. It's hard to say if it's molting or not from your description. T's do molt on their backs, but it could also be on its back as a result of shipping stress as well. I would just leave it be in an out of the way quiet place for a day or so and see what happens. If it is molting, it should be done by this time. If it's still behaving stranglely by tomorrow, I would add a few drops of water to the vial and wait and see.