Is my female P. Irminia gravid?

Kelly Fornez

Arachnopeon
I have paired my female irminia 5 times with my young male. I have never seen the male myself make a spermweb, he ended up pairing with the female 5 times and all 5 times he paired with her fine and she was receptive. My last 3 attempts have been unsuccessful the male doesn't seem interest even after he has made a sperm web. The female was receptive the 1st unsuccessful pairing on 12/2/2016 but The female has also tried eating him several times since. What do you think are my chances i have a gravid irminia?

Pairings
P. Irminia
11/21/2016-11/23/2016-12-1-2016 successful
12/3/2016-12/4/2016-12-6-2016-12-8-2016
Sperm webs seen
12/2/2016

cold blood

Staff member
I just don't get this. If you saw them successfully pair the first time, why in the world would you pair a second time, much less 4 more times? How much sperm do you think she requires. Re-pairing after successful mating has occurred is a great way to lose a male...lucky you didn't. After she has what she needs, he is now nothing but a prey item, which is why she acted like that. Just feed her until she won't eat.

Also, for future reference, a male shouldn't be paired until after you see a sperm web, or evidence of one. If he doesn't or isn't making sperm webs, he's not going to be fertile and will just be another prey item. Between every pairing you should have waited for him to make a sperm web, granted I do this between pairing different females and not the same one over and over again.

Good luck, I hope she drops a nice fat sac for you.

Last edited:

Kelly Fornez

Arachnopeon
P. Irminia has been my 1st mating of any Turnantula and i know i did it sloppy. I just wanted the highest chance of her becoming gravid.

Kelly Fornez

Arachnopeon
I just don't get this. If you saw them successfully pair the first time, why in the world would you pair a second time, much less 4 more times? How much sperm do you think she requires. Re-pairing after successful mating has occurred is a great way to lose a male...lucky you didn't. After she has what she needs, he is now nothing but a prey item, which is why she acted like that. Just feed her until she won't eat.

Also, for future reference, a male shouldn't be paired until after you see a sperm web, of evidence of one. If he doesn't or isn't making sperm webs, he's not going to be fertile and will just be another prey item. Between every pairing you should have waited for him to make a sperm web, granted I do this between pairing different females and not the same one over and over again.

Good luck, I hope she drops a nice fat sac for you.
Thank you! This was my 1st ever pairing i have ever done with my turantulas. I knew mating them several yimes was probably going to get me scolded i just read about people mating a turantula 1 time or several times so i figured it would be okay. Guess not. Thank you!

cold blood

Staff member
There are certainly people, successful people, that do pair more than once, but if there has been successful insertions, I just don't see the point. Without exception, every sac I have gotten has come from one single successful paring. I have re-paired many several times, but only because there was not insertions the first time(s).

@Poec54 use to tell the story of his LV pairing. Where he paired his female, had successful insertions and removed the male safely. Then many months later that female, who he thought to be gravid, molted out. He then re-paired that female with that same male and got a nice fat sac...and a double clutch if I am not mistaken....all because that male was kept safe and not re-paired or just left with the female (like many do). In both circumstances that female was paired one single time. My current female is one of those resulting babies.

Kelly Fornez

Arachnopeon
There are certainly people, successful people, that do pair more than once, but if there has been successful insertions, I just don't see the point. Without exception, every sac I have gotten has come from one single successful paring. I have re-paired many several times, but only because there was not insertions the first time(s).

@Poec54 use to tell the story of his LV pairing. Where he paired his female, had successful insertions and removed the male safely. Then many months later that female, who he thought to be gravid, molted out. He then re-paired that female with that same male and got a nice fat sac...and a double clutch if I am not mistaken....all because that male was kept safe and not re-paired or just left with the female (like many do). In both circumstances that female was paired one single time. My current female is one of those resulting babies.
To be honest this was my 1st ever time pairing one of my Turantulas. I have cared for 100s of slings and I decided I would really like to produce more. I wasn't sure if them just pairing up would be considered successful so I paired her several times thinking it would increase the chance of getting a gravid irminia. To be honest I knew some of what I was doing wasn't what was best for my male.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I wasn't sure if them just pairing up would be considered successful so I paired her several times thinking it would increase the chance of getting a gravid
Ts are more efficient than humans in this department as @cold blood mentioned. You picked a pretty easy T for your first, don't be discouraged and keep going.

Kelly Fornez

Arachnopeon
Ts are more efficient than humans in this department as @cold blood mentioned. You picked a pretty easy T for your first, don't be discouraged and keep going.
I am I waited for my B. Albopilosum to molt and a month later I got her a male B. Albopilosum. The pairing was successful and now I plan to lend the male to a friend of mine. I was wondering what the chances of a female becoming gravid after only 1 pairing. Thanks for the tip!