Is my Cobalt Blue sick?

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I don't know...what are you looking for in a new T?

Arboreal/terrestrial/burrower?
Docile/Skittish/defensive?
Teleporting/Fast/slow?
Prize?
Size?
Easy to care for / special care requirements?

TaylorRenee

Arachnopeon
I was either looking into an Psalmopoeus irminia or maybe even an Poecilotheria regalis. Im not quite sure what I want. I wouldnt mind an Arboreal havent had one in awhile. I do know I dont want something as fast or defensive at my Haplopelma lividum. Something a little more chilled out. Im sure my H. lividum will keep me own my toes for awhile.
I might just get a nice simple Redknee or maybe just go outside and catch a nice Oklahoma Brown.

Last edited:

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I was either looking into an Psalmopoeus irminia or maybe even an Poecilotheria regalis. Im not quite sure what I want. I wouldnt mind an Arboreal havent had one in awhile. I do know I dont want something as fast or defensive at my Haplopelma lividum. Something a little more chilled out. Im sure my H. lividum will keep me own my toes for awhile.
I might just get a nice simple Redknee or maybe just go outside and catch a nice Oklahoma Brown.
Then I'd say both of those you listed are out of the question. P. irminia are teleporters speed-wise! I have a 4" female that's so fast, she's just a blur if she takes off. However, she's very mellow for an irminia, while most are considered the most defensive species of the Psalmopoeus genus. In fact, their bite isn't as bad as a Poeci bite (which can have some nasty long-lasting effects for like a week or so - if you want to know, check out RobC video on youtube about his P. ornata bite for example). Poecilotheria are old world that are also fast like hell. Both that you listed basically have the following traits:

* colorful
* lightning fast
* usually quite defensive
* often (not always) very reclusive (means you don't see them often)

P. irminia is less venomous than P. regalis however, since Psalmopoeus are New Worlds (although they lack the urticating hairs and rely more on their speed and bite - which usually is on OW trait) so if you want to give it a try (despite their speed) I'd say irminia. But you'll most likely only see that one during the night as those are very, very reclusive in general.

Else, if you want something more docile, there's really only the Avicularia genus to look into. Those are (with a few exceptions) not bitey, can usually be handled and look awesome. These can be fast, too (all arboreals are to a degree, actually), shoot poop at you, jump but other than that are plain awesome.

Hope this helps,
Jan