Is my B. albopilosa approaching molt?

Krakilin

Arachnopeon
I'm worried about my first tarantula. He (not sure the gender) barely moves around, and I've never seen him near the cave or by the water dish. I haven't seen him eat either since I got him, and I've offered at least 5 crickets.

I recently noticed a slight balding in the abdomen.

Here's a pic of him:

I was hoping that you guys might recognize something for the pic or maybe help me pin down some of the signs. Thanks!

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It looks like it's in need of a molt, but that doesn't mean its going to. Even balding of the abdomen doesn't mean it's gonna molt. Thats just a defense mechanism, an itchy one.

Anyways how long have you had it, and how long hasn't eaten in? That could be a sign of a molt.

Oh and if you think he's in pre-molt I would advise against holding her or bothering her.

Tunedbeat

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I wouldn't worry about it not eatin, just keep fresh water available.
I just realized, that is a glove. lol, looks like a rock.

Krakilin

Arachnopeon
I bought him roughly a month ago. All of the crickets that I threw in there died of old age. I've read that they can go a whole year without eating though! And yes, haha, that is a glove.

I'm just afraid that he isn't healthy and I want to make him comfortable. I guess holding him didn't help.

I'm wondering about 2 things though:
#1) I thought they were a burrowing species? I'm suprised he's not seeking shelter in the cave that I gave him. (looks like a sign to me that he isn't well or he's in pre-molt)

#2) Do they like the substrate to be moist? I've kept it pretty dry.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I bought him roughly a month ago. All of the crickets that I threw in there died of old age. I've read that they can go a whole year without eating though! And yes, haha, that is a glove.

I'm just afraid that he isn't healthy and I want to make him comfortable. I guess holding him didn't help.

I'm wondering about 2 things though:
#1) I thought they were a burrowing species? I'm suprised he's not seeking shelter in the cave that I gave him. (looks like a sign to me that he isn't well or he's in pre-molt)

#2) Do they like the substrate to be moist? I've kept it pretty dry.
First off, remove all the crickets after 24 hours. Don't leave them in there till they die.

I'm pretty sure a molt is coming up. Just leave him be, and leave a waterdish in there.

This species likes it dry.

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have one of these guys also and his / her abdomen is huge. When I found out that these guys burrow I put him in a 55 gallon tank (I will take him out of there once i get some more custom made tanks) because I had him in a critter keeper that wasn't close enough to being big enough for him. So after i put him in the tank I put two ceramic heat emitters on the opposite side of the tank so during the day i put those on and it gets 90+ degrees in there. After it was in there for like 2 -3 days it blocked up its hide and I haven't seen it since lol...I also keep my other tarantulas in the same 55 gallon tank however they are in smaller enclosures that fit nicely inside the 55 so during the day most of my T's are getting 80+ degree days. here is some pictures of my curly hair before I put him in that tank.