Is my Asian Forest Scorpion pregnant or just fat?

bassyclastard

Arachnopeon
I've had this scorpion for 2.5 years and never bread it, but suddenly it's weight has increased significantly. Back in May she was 12.9g then molted and dropped to 11.3g, and has been steadily gaining weight. But in this last month she jumped from 12.8g to 13.85g without much change in her eating habits. Can Asian Forest Scorpions reproduce without a mate? If she could be pregnant, what signs should I be on the lookout for? Or is this simply over feeding. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
In this case I would say this animal is simply fat. Not a big deal.

There have been no verified reports of Heterometrus species reproducing parthenogenetically.

Joey Spijkers

Arachnoprince
I seriously doubt that it’s gravid, because it looks like a male haha.

There have been no verified reports of Heterometrus species reproducing parthenogenetically.
Keepers in Asia report some populations of H. longimanus to be parthenogenetic. I believe a population from Borneo, but I’m not 100% sure on that. I used to be very critical, but I’ve read a few fairly reliable reports from experienced keepers.

Not that this story is relevant to this specimen though.

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
lol, I can never bloody tell with Heterometrus.

Keepers in Asia report some populations of H. longimanus to be parthenogenetic. I believe a population from Borneo, but I’m not 100% sure on that. I used to be very critical, but I’ve read a few fairly reliable reports from experienced keepers.

Yeah, I've heard about that as well, and am carefully reserving judgement. It's certainly not outside the realm of biological possibility, but since I don't personally know the experience level any of the keepers I've heard reports from, I don't know how to assess the validity of their anecdotes. As a scientist, my bias is to be skeptical until I see it published, or at least until I see enough hard data from multiple sources.

bassyclastard

Arachnopeon

I appreciate you sexing it. I was told it's female and was having some trouble sexing it as I have no others to compare it with. How sure are you it's a male?

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
I really appreciate it. As I said higher up, I was told it's female and was having trouble sexing without a side-by-side.
The entomologist here said the definitive way of telling the sex is having two scorpions of the same age and species side by side. Also, from similar environments helps. Even experts can make mistakes.
An older female can have larger pectines and more filled out operculum than a young male.

PS I'm an anti expert. I still can't tell our 5 common species apart.

Last edited:

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince

The prevalence of WCs in Asia makes me think that they are just WC gravid females, although it is interesting.

Joey Spijkers

Arachnoprince
The prevalence of WCs in Asia makes me think that they are just WC gravid females, although it is interesting.
True, that’s also what I thought at first, but I’ve heard stories from keepers that raised them from a young age to adulthood separately, and it still produced. If it was a wild caught adult, it would be stupid to assume parthenogenesis of course.

Joey Spijkers

Arachnoprince
I appreciate you sexing it. I was told it's female and was having some trouble sexing it as I have no others to compare it with. How sure are you it's a male?
You can tell it’s male by the shape of the genital operculum, but also the enlarged tooth on the movable finger of the chelae. The latter method only works in H. silenus, which this specimen is.

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
It is claimed H. longimanus from Palawan Island are parthenogenic by the same folks that claim P. maximus is parthenogenic. None of these claims have been substantiated and proven. No doubt a case of WC females with stored sperm who under proper care and temperatures use their stored sperm. Also, they could be gravid too. True parthenogenic scorpion populations usually have a complete absence of males which is not true with these hobby animals.

bassyclastard

Arachnopeon
You can tell it’s male by the shape of the genital operculum, but also the enlarged tooth on the movable finger of the chelae. The latter method only works in H. silenus, which this specimen is.
What indicates that this is a H. Silenus to you? I'm trying to learn more about my animal but wasn't sure it's exact species

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
It's hibernation time of year. They all pig out about now. In the wild there won't be abundant prey until the raids hit around May.