Is it worth it to correct husbandry errors?

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
So in my city there is a botanical gardens that has a tiny room featuring some roaches, a ball python, some frogs and a G. rosea. Now barring the fact that they call this girl a "Grammostol rosea" I don't think her conditions are optimal. My bad for not getting a photo, but there can't be more than an inch of what appears to be sand and chunky, rocky dirt in the enclosure, which is pretty tall anyway. There's also no hide and 2 giant logs with extended points on it that worry me about falling hazards. The last two times I've been there has also been live prey in the enclosure.

My question is how worth it would it be for me to mention this to someone? I really don't want to be that guy and seem like I'm talking down to them as an expert on Ts (which I certainly am not) but at the same time it just bothers me so badly to see a T in less than desirable conditions. They take lovely care of all of their tropical plants and I'd really like to see that attention to detail extended to the small handful of animals in their care.

The Seraph

Arachnolord
I would do it, just make sure you don't sound condescending. No matter what, the safety of an animal or anything must always come before any apprehensions. If they are a good, reputable place then they will do everything to care for their animals.

Last edited:

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I would speak with them about it. It won't make things worse for the spider and has the potential to make things better. Just be humble and polite in your approach :)

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
I’d write a respectful email to whomever is responsible for their live animals and maybe their director. Be short and to the point and state your reasoning so that they know that this is for the spider’s best interest.

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
Thanks for the input you guys, I'm going to put something together to send and hopefully I'll get a response.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
If I were you, I would do it and direct them here in the process if they are stubborn.

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
If I were you, I would do it and direct them here in the process if they are stubborn.
You read my mind, I was already thinking about it if I get a less than desirable response.

Part of the issue is that they're a botanical gardens so everyone they have on board there is some sort of botanist or at least has heftier knowledge of plants and their staff page shows no one specifically in charge of the animals in their care.

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I would mention that you are a member of the largest online community of tarantula keepers, and that you are concerned that they are not keeping their spider in the optimal way according to the combined expertise of this community. Just so they know you are not some random person with their own unfounded ideas.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Thanks for the input you guys, I'm going to put something together to send and hopefully I'll get a response.
I don't want to be presumptuous of your linguistic prowess, but if you want your missive to be reviewed by another set of eyes before you send it, I am happy to help :)

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
I don't want to be presumptuous of your linguistic prowess, but if you want your missive to be reviewed by another set of eyes before you send it, I am happy to help :)
You all need to get out of my head! I was planning on putting it up here before I sent it forward to anyone at the gardens.

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
Sorry for the double post and sorry for the deadness regarding this topic! I've been quite ill the last few days, and quite busy the few days before that! This is my "I wrote this at work because we were extremely slow," rough draft, feel free to pick at it cause I have little to no idea what I'm doing!

"
To whom it may concern,

Over the past two months I have had the opportunity to visit your facility a few times now and while most people can say that their favorite part is obviously the lavish flora, I have to say I'm quite a fan of the Grammostola rosea (Chilean rose hair) tarantula you have. I myself have a tarantula and I am a member of one of the largest online community of tarantula keepers. It is for that second fact that I have a couple of concerns regarding the husbandry of your spider.

This is not meant to come across as a personal jab to your facility as I'm certain that you are giving the spider the best care that you know how and with tarantula keeping just recently getting a foothold in this country it is understandable that there is a gray area on how to care for them. My main concern is the depth of the substrate that the animal is in. A fall from the walls of the enclosure down to the low level of substrate could severely injure or even kill the tarantula. The height from the top of the enclosure to the substrate should not exceed 1.5x the legspan of your spider. My other concern is the lack of a true hide for the animal. There are things to be hid behind or near but nothing that will fully enclose the animal. Tarantulas are typically at their most content when they are allowed a space to hide or burrow in as they prefer tight, dark spaces. A simple half log or even halved plastic cup partially buried into the substrate would do perfectly. Lastly each time I have gone there have been several live crickets in the enclosure with the spider. This should be avoided as crickets can actually cause harm to a spider that is not interested in eating and the Grammostola rosea is notorious for not eating for months at a time.

Again this is not at all meant to be a personal attack on your facility or anyone who manages the few animals that are in your collection. I am simply a lover of arachnids who would love to see this specimen living in the most optimal conditions possible.

Thank you for your time,
My lovely name."

The Seraph

Arachnolord
Sorry for the double post and sorry for the deadness regarding this topic! I've been quite ill the last few days, and quite busy the few days before that! This is my "I wrote this at work because we were extremely slow," rough draft, feel free to pick at it cause I have little to no idea what I'm doing!

"
To whom it may concern,

Over the past two months I have had the opportunity to visit your facility a few times now and while most people can say that their favorite part is obviously the lavish flora, I have to say I'm quite a fan of the Grammostola rosea (Chilean rose hair) tarantula you have. I myself have a tarantula and I am a member of one of the largest online community of tarantula keepers. It is for that second fact that I have a couple of concerns regarding the husbandry of your spider.

This is not meant to come across as a personal jab to your facility as I'm certain that you are giving the spider the best care that you know how and with tarantula keeping just recently getting a foothold in this country it is understandable that there is a gray area on how to care for them. My main concern is the depth of the substrate that the animal is in. A fall from the walls of the enclosure down to the low level of substrate could severely injure or even kill the tarantula. The height from the top of the enclosure to the substrate should not exceed 1.5x the legspan of your spider. My other concern is the lack of a true hide for the animal. There are things to be hid behind or near but nothing that will fully enclose the animal. Tarantulas are typically at their most content when they are allowed a space to hide or burrow in as they prefer tight, dark spaces. A simple half log or even halved plastic cup partially buried into the substrate would do perfectly. Lastly each time I have gone there have been several live crickets in the enclosure with the spider. This should be avoided as crickets can actually cause harm to a spider that is not interested in eating and the Grammostola rosea is notorious for not eating for months at a time.

Again this is not at all meant to be a personal attack on your facility or anyone who manages the few animals that are in your collection. I am simply a lover of arachnids who would love to see this specimen living in the most optimal conditions possible.

Thank you for your time,
My lovely name."
That seems good to me. It is very polite, and good idea leading with a compliment. I am sure others have better ideas, but these are my two cents.

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
Sounds good! Maybe add in a suggestion for feeding 1 cricket at a time per week might be good along with advice to take uneaten crickets out.

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
I sent the email a few days ago, holiday sickness got the best of me so I sort of forgot about it. We'll see what kind of response I get, if anything!

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
Success! I got a response saying that they are actually in the process of redoing all of their animal enclosures (they also have a ball python, some roaches, and a few frogs) and said that if I would be interested in assisting them with their T's new enclosure that I can contact their volunteer coordinator. :D She also told me that the person they got their T from told them she can't climb walls so they were never concerned with her climbing and falling. :banghead:

korg

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That's a... surprisingly positive response! Guess you answered your own original question.

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
That's a... surprisingly positive response! Guess you answered your own original question.
I wasn't expecting that at all. I'll get in touch with their volunteer coordinator and we'll see about getting this spider a new enclosure. Oh and they told me that her name is Rosie.