Is it safe to keep millipede with cacti?

isopodluvr

Arachnosquire
I want to go bioactive with my o_O. and I've heard of people keeping them with cacti but do we think one with spines might be dangerous? they're not huge and they're the kind that curve inward.

Almadabes

Arachnoknight
You could also just consider other desert plants/shrubs?

They'll get big and i know nothing about their care but agave and aloevera look cool to me.

Edit: yeah they get way huge. Ignore me. Lol

BepopCola

Arachnobaron
Anecdotal, but I once had an A. gigas eat a large portion of Christmas cactus and proceed to die, within 24 hours.
That's my only experience with cacti though.

I'd also worry that they might swallow too big a portion of the spine, and that might cause damage as it passes through their system.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Some agave have highly toxic sap. Known hazardous to humans and pets. Cacti have environment specific traits that protect themselves from invasive pests.
@isopodluvr Looks like you have some research to do.

Almadabes

Arachnoknight
Some agave have highly toxic sap. Known hazardous to humans and pets. Cacti have environment specific traits that protect themselves from invasive pests.
@isopodluvr Looks like you have some research to do.
Hazardous to humans?

Agave?

Whut u mean tequila? Eeeeyyyy

The Snark

Old Timer
Hazardous to humans?

Agave?
Web browser -> Search engine -> Agave toxin
VERY toxic. Some steroidal soup if memory serves, and a highly irritant version that can trigger anaphylaxis..
There is an African version of the aloe that has the local nickname burn or flame plant. You do NOT want to get that sap on you.

Last edited:

Almadabes

Arachnoknight
Web browser -> Search engine -> Agave toxin
VERY toxic. Some steroidal soup if memory serves, and a highly irritant version that can trigger anaphylaxis..

I was just making a joke about tequila, lol.
In a way alcohol is technically a toxin - thats the joke.

Tequila is made from a type of agave - dont know the English we call it Maguey

The Snark

Old Timer
I was just making a joke about tequila, lol.
People who harvest the agave for tequila take some serious precautions, carefully cutting off the leaves as short as possible which have the most toxins. Oxalate crystals. A very similar toxic effect is found in deffenbachia known locally as the 'cow killer'. The oxalates penetrate the lining of the stomachs and intestines.

Last edited: