Is it realy a H. schmidti.....?

TigerWoman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yesterday i got a new spider, and it was sold to me as a H. schmidti (Hate spelling that word)

Now i see that it has a purple look at he's legs.. does schmidti have that or is it something else i'v got?
I'm new to Haplos, so some advises would help :)

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm not 100% positive, but I think that means that your H. schmidtis is a mature male. I could be wrong though.

Jon

TigerWoman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ohh.. i did'nt think of that..... could anyone post a pic on a mature male H. schmidti? I would realy like to know what T it is :8o

schlinkey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
well, can you see bulbs on his palps? should be easy to spot.. if not, at least he/she aint mature :)

TigerWoman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Nope, no palpal bulbs or hoocks as i can see... It's not acting like a mature male, it just sits in one spot, cuite calm... :confused:
I have a mystery T =D

schlinkey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
seems that haplos are abundant here in norway :p i recently saved a Haplopelma "longipendum" from the care of the local pet shop.. it has made quite an elaborate burrow already, real dirt mover.. and it was really aggressive before it made its home. dunno the sex yet, since i'm quite certain of her/him not being mature.

Advocatus

Arachnopeon
You found a haplo in a petstore in Norway? Dang, I must be looking all the wrong places! The most exiting I've found here in Stavanger is a G. Rosea mislabelled as a G. Pulchra. Boy, would I like to buy a G. Pulchra for $20 ...

TigerWoman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hehe.... i'm sure if you talk to them, and ask them about the list of T's they can order, you will find some beauties too :p Just let them know you'r interested! But dont pay too much :rolleyes:

shmidti

Arachnopeon
Tigerwoman,
Is your shmidti the gold variety or the black..
If you can get a picture on the web I can identify it for you

shmidti

Arachnopeon
Also I see that you have H. Lividium.........
Look at the markings on the abdomen of your Lividium and your mystery spider. If the markings are the same then it is definatly in the haplopelma family........ if not then either get me a picture up or try to describe it for me size coloration markings on legs
anything that I can use to try and help you out......

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
TW - Just so you know, Haplopelma sp. don't have Tibial hooks when males reach maturity. (Or so I'm told)

Bill

Theraphosid Research Team

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by conipto
TW - Just so you know, Haplopelma sp. don't have Tibial hooks when males reach maturity. (Or so I'm told)

Bill
Hi,

Haplopelma Species have distinct Tibial Spurs (I've seen them:) )

@TigerWoman:

The following picture shows a Haplopelma schmidti male:

TigerWoman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thank you VolkervonWirth!! It sure look like the one in the last picture! I will post a picture later on!

Only one more Q.... :rolleyes: Haplos are OW, right? Do they loose the hair on the abd. before molting, like the NW'er? I thought that they did'nt, but one of my lividum is getting bald :p

schlinkey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ah! That last one looks like my "longipendum" (?)

it said Ornithoctonus gadgii (think it was gadgi) on the sticker placed on the box it lived in.. real mystery spider.. btw; it also said Vietnamese Bird Spider. Now im not that sure of it being a "longipendum"..