Is it possible for a Dubia to harm a Tarantula?

Zman181

Arachnoknight
Just a random question. My A.metallica has a male dubia in her enclosure. I wasn't aware of. I attempted to remove the roach with tongs. It gave me a hard time. She's in one of those gallon jugs from Walmart. I don't want to stress the tarantula she's gravid and should be dropping a sac in the next 2 weeks. The roach hides and runs at the bottom of the enclosure and in order for me to catch it I have move her cork from side to side causing disturbance where she has a webbed. It's obvious that she was being stressed. The roach is still in there. It's aggravating. :(

Projecht13

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Leave it alone unless it comes out in the open for a clean easy grab with your tongs. Don't risk stressing out your Gravid T. There is a possibility the dubia could stress out the mother after she drops the sac potentially causing her to discard or eat the sac though! I say get a long pointy skinny item, find the dubia and skewer him! Once maimed he will be easy to pick out. Then feed him to another T :)

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I have never seen a dubia do any harm to a tarantula.Often times when not eaten they will burrow into the soil in the tank and live there for months.I wouldn't worry so much about it even if your female does create an eggsack!
-Chris

DawgPoundSound

Arachnopeon
If it gets in the way she'll kill it. They are harmless to tarantula. I've had them in enclosures while my T's molted, and all that happened was the T hardened, found immediate food, and gained a nice sized abdomen. LOL Don't sweat it.

Bengal21

Arachnopeon
Don't freshly molted T's run a risk of self injury if they feed on a prey item and haven't hardened up yet?