Is it allowed to release P Regius slings in New Jersey?

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
I was wondering why you are asking this.

You can ask any questions, of course, but I was wondering how you’ve come to the point where you are asking this specific question.

Did you see someone releasing one? Are you planning to release one soon? Such, and such, you know.

Egon

Arachnosquire
Are they native to the state? Broadly it is not a good thing to release a captive animal into the wild; 100% so if it is not native.

Nicole C G

Arachnoangel
Never release an animal without being within known range of the animal’s natural habitat. Phidippus Regius is known mostly to Florida. New Jersey is out of range.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Is it allowed to release Phidippus Regius spiderling in New Jersey?
It is illegal to release NON-NATIVE species in a state.

it is NOT found in NJ, found in SE US for the USA

Doing so is careless and speaks volumes about a person’s character.

If you can’t keep them either give them to someone who can, or kill them.

DO the RIGHT thing, not a DUMB thing out of convenience.

Last edited:

CRX

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I agree with everyone above, but P audax is known to occur in New Jersey. From what I know, it and regius are basically identical so it would not surprise me if regius was found there. That being said, its winter right now and releasing anything during this time is akin to a death sentence

Nicole C G

Arachnoangel
I agree with everyone above, but P audax is known to occur in New Jersey. From what I know, it and regius are basically identical so it would not surprise me if regius was found there. That being said, its winter right now and releasing anything during this time is akin to a death sentence
They aren’t basically the same thing. Two completely different species, not even known to be able to interbreed. Just because two are from the same genus doesn’t mean they are alike, and they can still become invasive. I’m not an expert, but I do know the range of a lot of salticids. Their primary range is Florida and neighboring states. Aside from other places in the USA where small populations may occur, (unnaturally, by release of pet’s offspring or by accidental import) Florida is the main place they live.

CRX

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
They aren’t basically the same thing. Two completely different species, not even known to be able to interbreed. Just because two are from the same genus doesn’t mean they are alike, and they can still become invasive. I’m not an expert, but I do know the range of a lot of salticids. Their primary range is Florida and neighboring states. Aside from other places in the USA where small populations may occur, (unnaturally, by release of pet’s offspring or by accidental import) Florida is the main place they live.
Ahhh, okay. I looked around a bit and realized that was really generalizing and incorrect of me to say. You are right.

Nicole C G

Arachnoangel
Ahhh, okay. I looked around a bit and realized that was really generalizing and incorrect of me to say. You are right.
Sorry if I sounded harsh. Just wanted to get my point across! 😃

SalticusScenicusStar

Arachnoknight
I was just curious. I am not even planning to have P. Regius slings anyway. I saw people in videos doing so. That's why.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
That’s how Florida ended up with skunk apes. Gorilla broke out of side show for a traveling circus back on the 1910’s. That gorilla stared banging other critters deep in the swamps. Now people go into the swamps and never return due to the invasiveness of the hybrid skunk apes.

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
Even where species are native there can be risks associated with releasing captive bred specimens that may be carrying diseases or parasites that aren't usually in their native range. (Perhaps unlikely in this specific case, but something that needs to be considered)