is he mature??

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
Ok you pokie experts out there...my P fasciata just molted. The lid measures 5" across and I think he's close to that if he stretched out. I know they don't have tibial hooks, but their coloring is duller (more dull?).
Anyone want to make a guess, or tell me definatively if he's mature?

Last edited:

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Holley,

As you know, I'm new to the world of Pokies, but wouldn't sexual maturity still be evident in the pedipalps?

Botar

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah, Botar is right. Try and get a close look at the pedipalps. The embolus should be easy to make out at the end of each.

Atrax

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Holley,
Just looking at the pics you've shown, I doubt that this is mature. P. fasciata, as well as others within the genera, will look pretty different after an ultimate molt. They will look more plain, fuzzier, and generally not as pretty as it used to be. The abdominal pattern will not be as striking. You'll know it when you see it.
john

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
thanks...I know about the palps...LOL...but I was wondering if they looked *different* on pokies...his are large, but flatter. If they look like a normal male, then he's definately not mature. John, you're saying he will get more dull?
I have a sinking feeling that all of my Poecilotheria spp are males, but only time will tell.
thanks everyone!

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by Immortal_sin
John, you're saying he will get more dull?
thanks everyone!
Ugly would be a better word to describe 'em :)
Rick West's site has an excellent example of a mature male Poecilotheria fasciata. Click me
john

Last edited:

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
Yeah, this is exactly how they look when they mature. I've got one about 6' from here. They don't have any hooks, but the bulb on the palps are quite visable. I was a bit disapointed that their coloration changed so much when he matured, but I guess since they have wander around to find a lady friend it is better camo than what they wore before.