IS He Big?

Frostbyte

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Is it just me or is male Emp gettin HUGE? he's eatin 6-8 crickets ( Im talkin big ones ) a week! And his sides arent even beginning to expand at all ! This guy loves to come out around midnight and actually stands in the corner of his tank UNTIL I pick him up. Then he sits on my hand docile as can be. He's pinched me maybe once or twice in a year but Im guessing that's til I give in and HAND feed him a cricket. I actually get a cricket and put it in his pincher. I was sooo freaked about even thinking of touching him for months. Then one day I was like .. I want to respect this guys space .. but on the other hand I want to see what he'd do If I just rested my hand under him and let him decide if he wanted to be messed with! Then we walked on my hand and the rest is history. I don't recommend handling Scops in any way ( due to stressin them out , them falling or even getting stung ) But fearing such an amazing creature is far worse. Anyone newbie that wants any help info whatever .. email me I have 3 scorps 2 Emps and an Israli Gold ( Scorpio Maurus ) and 6 dart Frogs which I just got into 3 weeks ago .. wanna talk time and dedictation .. but thats another story .. by the way Thanx Dave , Kugellager and kenny for all the help and INFO.. Keep it UP Dave I see from all your posts your into your Hobbies ( work ) !!

Attachments

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Frostbyte,

It is neither a hobby or work -- it is an obsession. ;)

I know what you mean about handling. The first time I held my O.rugiceps it was with gloves on and I was sweating! Now it is second nature to handle them. I am even considering getting a <gasp> emperor scorpion.

Cheers,
Dave

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
I must admit it is borderline obsession for me too; though I do limit my scorps to what is quite low for many as I have many other hobbies which vie for my time and $$$.

You know Dave you brought up a point/phobia I have too. I have been particularly hesitant to get another emperor myself. Prob for the same reasons you haven't either. :D =D :D I just don.t want the 'regular' or 'normal'. Have to find one that are interesting or a bit of a challenge. Though none of the species I have I would consider much of a challenge at keeping they are all fun.

John
; ' /

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
John,

I'm the same way. Now that I have more than 40 specimens of more "advanced" species, I thought I might try my hand at the beginner's scorp. After all, there is a reason that they are the most popular scorpion species out there. I want to set up some mammoth communal scorpion enclosures, though, so I may have to wait a bit until things are sorted out in our basement.

On a related note, my first snake was a Deckert's ratsnake. Still my favourite and still a crowd-pleaser. You would hardly guess that it is "common."

Cheers,
Dave