Is fasting perfectly normal for an Avic Avic?

spiralofvertigo

Arachnopeon
I have a question as to see if this is normal behavior for a pink toe. I have read that spiders tend to 'fast' ever so often; mine took around three crickets after her last molt which was roughly three months ago and has refused all other foods I have offered. I now raise roaches as a hobby on the side and have also offered her some of those to no avail.
Her abdomen is quite a bit smaller than it used to be; I'm sure this is just me being paranoid and I AM a very paranoid individual, though does anyone have any abdomen comparison pictures? For instance an image showing obese/well fed/average/under fed/emaciated spider.

She's around five inches and I am unsure of her age but I have had her for around...two years or so.

Just need a few tips of what I should do.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
You could try raising the humidity and/or temperature. I've read that sometimes does the trick.
Just reading this, the only cause for concern would be the abdomen issue (and as you have stated, you are unsure if had actually been shrinking). Perhaps you could post a picture of your spider?

Generally, if the abdomen is significantly smaller than the carapace, I'd start to maybe worry.

spiralofvertigo

Arachnopeon
You could try raising the humidity and/or temperature. I've read that sometimes does the trick.
Just reading this, the only cause for concern would be the abdomen issue (and as you have stated, you are unsure if had actually been shrinking). Perhaps you could post a picture of your spider?

Generally, if the abdomen is significantly smaller than the carapace, I'd start to maybe worry.
Sadly I'm unable to post a photo right now because of a camera issue; but I can safely say that her abdomen was indeed a bit larger awhile back when comparing the photos I took recently. However it is not in the 'danger zone' at all; it is still larger than her carapace, just the cause for my concern was the difference from how she used to look.

I've heard that some spiders; after overeating, tend to slow down during random durations. Could that possibly be it?

I will try to get my camera to hook up to my computer in the morning and post an image otherwise, it may help.

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My theories, in order:
1.) Temp
2.) Did it molt out MM perhaps?
3.) It's just being weird, like spiders are prone to do.
4.) Parasites, but I distinctly doubt this at all.

spiralofvertigo

Arachnopeon

This is the best I can get for someone to help me make sure that Rozalin is female JebbeWocky but that would make sense.
It is most likely temp related however; any tips on raising temperature? I have a human heating pad under her cage with a towel in between right now. It doesn't get too hot though so..not sure.
It's a cold winter and the heat hasn't been on as much; that could be the issue.

Any tips?

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
:DI'm sorry, but I'm no good at ventral sexing. I can sex pretty reliably from a molt, and I can tell if it has tibial hooks and palpal emoli, but beyond that--nope. Honestly, I can really only do it in person--most cameras members here seem to have don't have enough resolution or something for me to get a good look.

It seems to be a pretty decent photo though, so I'm sure a more senior member can sex it.

spiralofvertigo

Arachnopeon
That's fine! I posted a picture on the sexing image section to see if someone can help me.

Hopefully the temp is the only issue and that they will be okay.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
She looks perfectly fine. That's nowhere near close to being thin. You say her abdomen was larger before, and also say that it's been cold. That is probably it. A lot of food + slower metabolism due to colder temp = no need to eat just yet. I'd keep an eye of her just the same, in case she starts acting strangely, but there should be no problems. What I would so is to try feeding every two weeks until she starts to eat again, then going back to the usual schedule when she does.

My avic was just a little bit fatter than that before she laid her sack, just to give you an idea.

spiralofvertigo

Arachnopeon
Thanks so much everyone! I'm keeping a good eye on her; I'll leave her be for awhile to see if she has any improvement. I appreciate your help.

US Arachnids

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have a female avics and 2 versicolors that did this, I would just offer her some food ever week/other week until she starts eating again, I have tryed raising the humidity but it didnt change anything. I really have no idea why they do that. Nice female though