Is anyone else’s Chaco golden knee a complete lunatic??

louisehill

Arachnopeon
Does anyone else know why my Chaco golden knee T is incredibly aggressive and also skittish. It normally just curls up as small as it can at the deepest part of its hide but if there’s any source of movement it darts out and climbs onto the side of the enclosure. I’ve had it for 23 days now and refuses food completely, it was due a feed the day I bought it but refuses all food. It also hung from the top of the enclosure for the first few days of having it. I currently own a Bahia grey bird eater and previously owned a white knee sling (who passed after moulting) and have had no problems with them what so ever and are really docile.

Yes! Mine is not docile in the slightest.
I was filling his water dish & he went from sitting peacefully to what can only be described as pouncing & face planting the enclosures side looking like a facehugger.
I'm glad I use one of those long nozzle water bottles!

He does eat well though.

When I was researching him before buying it did say that for the first month or two in a new home, they are price to climbing the sides and top of enclosures.

Attachments

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Does anyone else know why my Chaco golden knee T is incredibly aggressive and also skittish. It normally just curls up as small as it can at the deepest part of its hide but if there’s any source of movement it darts out and climbs onto the side of the enclosure. I’ve had it for 23 days now and refuses food completely, it was due a feed the day I bought it but refuses all food. It also hung from the top of the enclosure for the first few days of having it. I currently own a Bahia grey bird eater and previously owned a white knee sling (who passed after moulting) and have had no problems with them what so ever and are really docile.
Any pictures?? Mood swings are nothing unusual .

gabrieldezzi

Arachnosquire
Judging by the fact you're saying it's retreating as far away from movement as possible and covering its carapace with its legs (stress position I'd assume) it's very possible he's still just settling in. They sometimes take a while especially if they're larger, in my experience.

(Slightly unrelated but felt like a tangent was brewing):
People tend to forget, especially in the New World sector of the tarantula-keeping world that New Worlds aren't just automatically docile. In addition, Old Worlds aren't automatically skittish and defensive, there is always some variability. It is possible you just got a very feisty G. pulchripes, which you know, it happens. I mostly see this more stereotypical "old-world" behavior with genuses like Pamphobeteus, Phormictopus, Theraphosa, and Psalmopoeus, so it's kind of odd hearing that from Grammastola. Overall, I don't think anything is really wrong with your T, but keep us updated regardless!

fcat

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Yeah my two wildest tarantulas are both Brachypelma klaasi. The slightest disturbance and they do sprints around their enclosures. It sounds like thunder.

gabrieldezzi

Arachnosquire
Yeah my two wildest tarantulas are both Brachypelma klaasi. The slightest disturbance and they do sprints around their enclosures. It sounds like thunder.
Can second this, one of my rowdiest tarantulas is my Pamphobeteus sp. platyomma who is very quick to kick hairs at the slightest movement and is ferociously defensive.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Mine is super docile, never a threat pose nor kicking setae. She’s a model Chaco for all the world to marvel at.