Iridopelma

Offkillter

Arachnosquire
O.K. so I just recently discovered this species (thanks in no small part to Arachnoboards) and have become completely fascinated by them. I have started my pre purchase research and was just curious why you don't hear more about them.Any current Iridopelma owners out there who care to chime in?
Also I was wondering if you guys know any reputable cats that can give a guy a good deal on a few Iridopelma slings,any input would be appreciated.Thanks

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Ck the sell adds, they are sold on ocassion.

I have I hirtsutum, they are great eaters, fast and will throw up a threat display at the drop of a dime.

One of my favorite tree huggers. Don't buy one, buy several!!!

PIG-

dianedfisher

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
O.K. so I just recently discovered this species (thanks in no small part to Arachnoboards) and have become completely fascinated by them. I have started my pre purchase research and was just curious why you don't hear more about them.Any current Iridopelma owners out there who care to chime in?
Also I was wondering if you guys know any reputable cats that can give a guy a good deal on a few Iridopelma slings,any input would be appreciated.Thanks
You might try Swifts Inverterbrates. Kelly has them occassionally. I agree with Warpig. They're like the OBT of arboreals when they get to the juvenile stage and are beautiful as spiderlings. Voracious feeders and grow pretty quickly. I had some problems keeping spiderlings viable. Not quite as prone to sudden death as Avicularia but still a little touchy. Could just be me. My first sac didn't contain as many spiderlings as some other arboreals I have bred. Perhaps that's why they're a little harder to find. I have both the Iridopelma hirsutum and Iridopelma sp. "Recife" and I don't notice much variance in the two but I keep them marked and don't plan to mate them with another. Di

Offkillter

Arachnosquire
Ck the sell adds, they are sold on ocassion.

I have I hirtsutum, they are great eaters, fast and will throw up a threat display at the drop of a dime.

One of my favorite tree huggers. Don't buy one, buy several!!!

PIG-
Plan on it,just don't tell my wife;)

Offkillter

Arachnosquire
You might try Swifts Inverterbrates. Kelly has them occassionally. I agree with Warpig. They're like the OBT of arboreals when they get to the juvenile stage and are beautiful as spiderlings. Voracious feeders and grow pretty quickly. I had some problems keeping spiderlings viable. Not quite as prone to sudden death as Avicularia but still a little touchy. Could just be me. My first sac didn't contain as many spiderlings as some other arboreals I have bred. Perhaps that's why they're a little harder to find. I have both the Iridopelma hirsutum and Iridopelma sp. "Recife" and I don't notice much variance in the two but I keep them marked and don't plan to mate them with another. Di
Do you happen to recall what you paid for yours? I just kind of what to know a good base line price for Iridopelma.Thanks

BlackCat

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Basically what everyone said, they LOVE to eat and very fast. Pretty easy care, just treat them like Avics. Had mine since she was about .5" sling 1 year ago, now about 3". My favorite, up there with my A. purpurea. :)

(Paid about $25 for her as a .5" sling)

Offkillter

Arachnosquire
Thanks, I just checked ktbg he has .5" recife at $45.00 each that just seems a little steep.T

Last edited:

BlackCat

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Would probably be best to run a search for 'Iridopelma' in the For Sale/Trade forum to compare some prices. Market could have changed for them since then or it could have just been a "sale" price or something too.

EDIT: What Ken has is I. sp. "recife". Mine is Iridopelma hirsutum, that's where the pricing difference is coming from. :)

dianedfisher

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Do you happen to recall what you paid for yours? I just kind of what to know a good base line price for Iridopelma.Thanks
If you want them you can't be too picky about price or they'll be gone. $25-40 for spiderlings depending on size seems to be pretty average. Di

Offkillter

Arachnosquire
Swift's has 1/2" I. hirsutum for $25. Definitely one of my favorite Ts out there. ;)
I checked out swifts and though it seems like a good deal I would be shipping clear across country and the live arrival guarantee is void after forty eight hour in transit.I cant bring myself to risk it right now.I like to buy close to home.There are just to many variables shipping cross country.Thanks though.

kaydyn1512

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have bought from all over the country. I have had a few DOA most due to the way they were packed. Ken and Kelly have exceptional packing so I wouldn't worry about that to much. Iridopelma are not only beautiful but have attitude from 1/2" and will entertain you every feeding and cage maintenance. I have 1 hirsutum and 1 recife. I hear they are one in the same but I have no proof of that. Although they do look alike but...The 1 I am really waiting for is the Iridopelma seladonium that is not yet available in the US. It's going to be really pricey when it gets here.

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?p=1472966

madTparty

Arachnopeon
Yeah, I live in CA as well, and have ordered from swifts when the weather is hot, and had no problem. As long as you get express you should get LAG. He packs them very well, so that shouldn't be a problem. But, hey, it's your tarantula... :)

Offkillter

Arachnosquire
I have bought from all over the country. I have had a few DOA most due to the way they were packed. Ken and Kelly have exceptional packing so I wouldn't worry about that to much. Iridopelma are not only beautiful but have attitude from 1/2" and will entertain you every feeding and cage maintenance. I have 1 hirsutum and 1 recife. I hear they are one in the same but I have no proof of that. Although they do look alike but...The 1 I am really waiting for is the Iridopelma seladonium that is not yet available in the US. It's going to be really pricey when it gets here.

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?p=1472966
Yeah, I live in CA as well, and have ordered from swifts when the weather is hot, and had no problem. As long as you get express you should get LAG. He packs them very well, so that shouldn't be a problem. But, hey, it's your tarantula... :)
Very cool thanks for the input.Since it seems there is really no discernible difference between hirsutum and recife,swifts it is.