Introducing Big Momma

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
my 8 incher

i got 3 agbs today, would it be sensible to house them with other millis like n. americanus?

Last edited:

spydrhunter1

Arachnolord
Old Timer
From I've been able to read I think a some of people are hesistant to keep different species of millipedes together, because it's nearly impossible to tell the species of any pedelings which are born. I have heard of others who keep pedes from the same continent together, like a tank of mixed African species. I personally keep different species separately.

arrowhd

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Impressive. Didn't know that could get so big. Are the females typically so much larger than males?

spydrhunter1

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Don't know if this size difference is an absolute, I know that my male is smaller than my 2 females. In many arthropods the males are typically smaller and lighter built than the females.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Don't know if this size difference is an absolute, I know that my male is smaller than my 2 females. In many arthropods the males are typically smaller and lighter built than the females.
well i tried to sex my 3 and looks like my 2 biggest are females and the oter male....but they didnt hold real still lol but the diameter is about the same on the 3

gunslinger

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
As to housing them together......I dont know how good of an idea it is. As you probably know many millipedes can secrete chemicals and if you house different species together, one species chemicals may have an adverse effect on anothers. Also mites that one species can live with may harm another species more, and Ive never had a pede that didnt come with a few mites.

Also I remember reading a past thread that discussed I think AGB trying to mate with other species in a communal tank and even killing one in the process, though I cant for the life of me find this thread right now.

spydrhunter1

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Also I remember reading a past thread that discussed I think AGB trying to mate with other species in a communal tank and even killing one in the process, though I cant for the life of me find this thread right now.
I remember that thread also, but had forgotten about it. Hmmmmmmmmmm.