International shipping Laws.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If the animal in question is dead and just being sent for preservation do live animal international shipping laws apply? Do permits still have to be obtained and such?

titus

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yes, Cites treats all animal products the same as live animals, ie. a Snake skin is the same as a snake.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ya but in that case you are buying the snake skin for a reason.... its a black market item that sells for cash, this is just being sent to be perserved and it died naturally. Its a tarantula ofcourse.... and my friend wants me to do a resin cast for it. But he lives in Mexico....... He has this T since he was 8 or something like that and hes 42. I want to do the cast for him and send it back.......

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It was a B Smithi, its been dead a month or so and he has had it in his freezer.

titus

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
For a B. Smithi Alive or dead you would need Cites documents even though the animal would not be staying in the US because it's crossing international boarders. Depending on your state you may need addtional Import/Export permits.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I looked into that already and all the papers with CITIES that have to do with animals all refer to alive animals. I have done one import before and did all the right paperwork and everything they gave me had to do with an alive creature, not dead. Unless it was tusks or furr.........

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
not sure what the laws are about shipping dead animals.im sure there are some rules about it.for instance dead or alive i believe its illegal to ship most ant species over state lines

tarantulas.com

Arachnopeon
Be Careful!

I would not attempt to import anything that has to do w/ brachypelma from Mexico. You might not have any problems, but if you do they could be quite serious. It really seems that you know a lot about tarantulas, and want to do this long-term. If that's true, then getting nailed for importing a dead specimen that can be obtained here, would suck. Don't jeopardize your future reputation, if you are dead set on it, then call Fish and wildlife and get someone to send you a dated letter saying that it is not illegal.

PS- resin casts? I've got some adult pokies and misc. in the freezer that we can talk about

Last edited: