Interesting Looking Aphid

Black Widow88

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I went out today and I saw lots of Black Bean Aphids. They were all winged and they were landing on me like crazy and one of them had a green abdomen and the rest of the body was black! So that got me thinking do black bean aphids vary in color? Or is it something else? Like another species?

That really struck me as beautiful/odd. So I'd thought I'd ask you guys what was going on with that particular aphid that was on me. Never saw one like it before to tell you the truth. It was amazing. All the others were black except that one. Wish I'd had a camera on me.

Black Widow88

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
There's a lot of variety among aphids. One of the studies that we're conducting in the lab I work at involves counting two different species that we ID based primarily on color (one's light green, the other's darker green). One of the plants that we're examining for mite infestations has a completely different species that's green with black bands across its back. I've seen others that are red and others that are black.

Last edited:

Black Widow88

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
There's a lot of variety among aphids. One of the studies that we're conducting in the lab I work at involves counting two different species that we ID based primarily on color (one's light green, the other's darker green). One of the plants that we're examining for mite infestations has a completely different species that's green with black bands across its back. I've seen others that are red and others that are black.
Wow! So there's a good chance that it's a black bean aphid then? I knew that different species of aphids come in different colors but I didn't know that the colors/patterns could vary between the same species! That is cool! Thanks for the info. :D

Black Widow88

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I don't know about a lot of variation within a single species -- the three I mentioned are all different species. I meant variation among the family aphidae. Sorry if I was confusing (I'm good at that :8o).

Although, with the dark green species, I've seen individuals (same species, I think) that had sort of a brick-red color to them. I don't know if they were healthy, dying, or if it was the early symptoms of being parasitized by an adorable little wasp.

Black Widow88

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
A wasp might've laid it's eggs inside it and part of its abdomen turned green and the head and thorax stayed black. Hmmmmmmm this is tricky. :?

Black Widow88

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The wasps turn it into a brown dry husk -- it was likely just some random other species.

No real surprise, considering there's around 4000 known species with plenty of color variation. :)

Black Widow88

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Oh darn it! Looks like I'm just going to have to catch all 4000 species then.....Wonder how I'm going to do that? :D

Black Widow88

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I don't know about a lot of variation within a single species -- the three I mentioned are all different species. I meant variation among the family aphidae. Sorry if I was confusing (I'm good at that :8o).

Although, with the dark green species, I've seen individuals (same species, I think) that had sort of a brick-red color to them. I don't know if they were healthy, dying, or if it was the early symptoms of being parasitized by an adorable little wasp.
I want your job.

Black Widow88

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Me too! Give it to us! :D Oh I'm leaving for camp tomorrow! :D Just wanted you guys to know!

Black Widow88

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I want your job.
:D Those wasps are adorable, aren't they? Yesterday I grabbed an oak leaf on campus that I spotted a couple mummies on -- I successfully gave one a c-section and pulled out a wasp pupae. The other one I accidentally squished and neon green / yellow wasp guts came out. :8o

Oh I'm leaving for camp tomorrow! :D Just wanted you guys to know!
Have fun, and catch lots of bugs to freak everyone else out with! {D