Injured B. albopilosum!!!

TheSanguineSaint

Arachnosquire
Help with T's Injury Need Info please!
So we have kept T's of several species for over 3 years. We had a friend sell her 3 yr old curly haired B.albopilosum. two of them. It was all last minute so we put a piece of plywood in the middle substrate, sphagnum, water dish etc, as well as a mesh lid. We fed them a week after coming. Both ate well. So we came home and were horrified. One of the T's must have squeezed through the top were the mesh and wood met and pushed the mesh lid up enough to escape. I am shocked that it was able to lift that amount of weight. I feel horrible. The biggest T had the other in its fangs and there was no movement.After about a few minutes the underdog moved! So we quickly used a paintbrush to seperate them and it was still moving. We instanly checked for "blood" and found an injury to his head right next to his eyes. Possibly a tiny one on his abdomen. We baking sodaded his abdomen and placed him in ICU. I dont want to leave it with a hole in his head but dont want to hurt his eye with the corn startc or baking soda or glue etc. Any advice. How soon should I try to feed him as he ate 3 days earlier. He is in a death curl but occasionally moves to drink. Any advice would help. I am not able to get a clear pic on my cell of its injury. Thank you in advance.:(

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
ICUs almost always make things worse. Unless the T is severely dehydrated, get it out of there.

I don't know that there's anything you can do aside from putting it in an enclosure where this can't happen again, giving it a water dish/hide, and seeing what happens. If the other T injected venom, it may die from that. If it was a deep bite that did a lot of mechanical damage, same thing. If it was a dry bite and it's not too deep/severe, there is a chance that the T will recover and repair the wound the next time it molts. Don't worry about food right now. Hope it pulls through for you.

Last edited:

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
@nicodimus22 pretty much has it covered.

But my question is how exactly did the escaped T get to the other T? Were they in a split enclosure?

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor

But my question is how exactly did the escaped T get to the other T? Were they in a split enclosure?
Yes, read the post again. Op stuck a piece of plywood in the middle under a mesh top. ;)
@OP. only time will tell, but it doesn't sound good. You might as well let the bigger spider have it. Sounds horrible, i know, but that way, it at least didn't die for nothing.
Split enclosures never end well.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
Never do the split enclosure technique. The tarantula that was chomped will most likely die if it's not already. Live and learn

TheSanguineSaint

Arachnosquire

But my question is how exactly did the escaped T get to the other T? Were they in a split enclosure?[/QUOTE]
Never do the split enclosure technique. The tarantula that was chomped will most likely die if it's not already. Live and learn
We have the humidity up in his enclosure. I was shocked that the T was able to push the metal weighted screen/lid up. I had the T's in a split enclosure temporarily until I had a chance to build the stand etc for the new tank I was setting up. I will never do it again. I feel so badly for this critter. He is still in the death curl but drinking. Keeping my fingers crossed for Sully :(

sasker

Arachnoprince
We have the humidity up in his enclosure.
So you split the enclosure because you wanted to keep the conditions for both spiders (i.e. humidity) the same? Humidity is really not so much of an issue with this species. They do fine on dry substrate. I know it's a bit late now, but any other temporary terrarium would have been better than a split enclosure.

Could you post some pictures of your current setup? Perhaps there are some things you could improve :)

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Tarantulas can squeeze through surprisingly tight spaces, divided enclosures often end in disaster for that reason.

Even with just the slightest bit of leeway the spider will get through, it's imperative to be sure there is no wiggle room.

Sucks to see this happen again, if the smaller T has puncture wounds in his carapace there's next to no chance he'll survive.

It may seem heartless but I would have let the larger spider finish him off, at least then he won't go to waste.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
They are very strong and determined creatures, easily shoveling dirt for hours, taking down fairly large prey, and they can squeeze through gaps you can't imagine. Check out these vids:

TheSanguineSaint

Arachnosquire
So you split the enclosure because you wanted to keep the conditions for both spiders (i.e. humidity) the same? Humidity is really not so much of an issue with this species. They do fine on dry substrate. I know it's a bit late now, but any other temporary terrarium would have been better than a split enclosure.

Could you post some pictures of your current setup? Perhaps there are some things you could improve :)
Thank you so much for your post we had them in a split temporarily (plywood with a mesh lid like you buy at the pet store) while I finished the building of a stand for the aquarium. I had no idea that they could push up a weighted lid!!! I am kicking myself for not clamping it now. The T is still alive but in a death curl. I am wondering if it would be kinder to put it in the freezer to save him any more misery. Iwill never ever not use clamps and have researched the amount of weight they can move wowow. We have arboreal species, burrowers etc and our A avicularia is an escape artist but nothing like this has ever happened. I am wondering if they mated and then she tried to kill the other.I have yet to sex a molt. I don't know what to believe in regards to the female killing the male there are a lot of conflicting arguments about this. I guess if I see an egg sac I will know. Ah well, thanks again.

ediblepain

Arachnosquire
Instead of kicking yourself for not clamping the cage.. you should be kicking yourself for not just putting them in separate plastic boxes with holes drilled in them. The outcome would have likely been the same even if you clamped the lid. I would be surprised if the injured T pulls through. One of the best things you can do is leave it alone. Don't poke at it, dont shake the container, don't offer it food for awhile. Good luck, I hope he makes it.

Deb60

Arachnosquire
They are very strong and determined creatures, easily shoveling dirt for hours, taking down fairly large prey, and they can squeeze through gaps you can't imagine. Check out these vids:

I actually use some of of sons weights ( for weight training) on top of some of my Ts set ups !

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Yeesh, this is a crappy situation. It's not just the puncture wounds you have to consider, but the fact that he likely was envenomated as well.

As has been said already, and you have acknowledged, this is why split enclosures are always denounced quickly around here.

Good luck, he's gonna need it.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I am wondering if it would be kinder to put it in the freezer to save him any more misery.
Well, keep in mind that they don't suffer the way a mammal can suffer. They don't even have a brain, anatomically speaking. They can sense damage, if say, a leg is wounded, and they self-amputate and grow the leg back later, but their physiological ability to suffer and feel pain is not the same as us. I guess what I'm saying is, if it was my T, I would not put it in the freezer. I would give it a chance to pull through. We don't know if it was envenomated or not.

sasker

Arachnoprince
I am wondering if they mated and then she tried to kill the other.I have yet to sex a molt. I don't know what to believe in regards to the female killing the male there are a lot of conflicting arguments about this. I guess if I see an egg sac I will know.
If the spiders are indeed three years old, they will not be sexually mature and you cannot expect an egg sack, I am afraid.

Still, could you post pictures of your terrarium? I have the feeling that some aspects of the enclosure could be improved. For one, you mentioned a mesh lid. If this is what I think it is, it will be very unsuitable. Tarsal claws can get stuck in mesh, leading to falls/injuries and amputated legs. It depends on the kind of lid, of course, hence the request for pictures. It's not to criticize you, but just to help you :)

TheSanguineSaint

Arachnosquire
If the spiders are indeed three years old, they will not be sexually mature and you cannot expect an egg sack, I am afraid.

Still, could you post pictures of your terrarium? I have the feeling that some aspects of the enclosure could be improved. For one, you mentioned a mesh lid. If this is what I think it is, it will be very unsuitable. Tarsal claws can get stuck in mesh, leading to falls/injuries and amputated legs. It depends on the kind of lid, of course, hence the request for pictures. It's not to criticize you, but just to help you :)
I have them in seperate zoo med enclosures now on a stand. Each has their own shelf with a zip tie on to lock the 'door' shut so no chances of pushing up. The holes in it are only what was built in by the company. Infact I will have to take the enclosure off of the shelf to even feed them. I will send a pic as soon as I get up there or get a family member to take one. I have a broken back in 2 spots which has me on bed rest. Good news though I caught it at the water dish!!!! I set up the go.pro so I could watch if it was doing anything and it went to the water dish twice. It was very close to the T. It didnt move at all like a normal T but it still.dragged itself onto.the edge of the water dish and had its mouth in it. I am keeping my fingers crossed. He is in a suitably temeratured room with a little more than average humidity 85 instead of the usual 75-80. So Im not going to change anything. If it keeps improving then I will feed him when I feel it looks better. I will never EVER use a split enclosure even for a moment! Thanks for the advice and help. Cheers

TheSanguineSaint

Arachnosquire

Also I am not sure of their exact age etc. I got 5hem from a jerk who said she was going to have to do something with all her T's because she couldnt be botherd and they were her ex's anyway...blah blah blah. So we ended up.with these 2 and I put her in contact with seversl other folks I know who keep T's. These 2 are in the range of the size of a full grown adult. Maybe all this wont be for nothing. Either way it doesnt matter. I am just trying to help underdog survive and the other get into a healthy condition then I can worry about sexing them and getting them on a feeding schedule etc. Thanks again