Info on how to take quality pictures with ANY camera

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
There is always the cheap plastic model and the more expensive one for each release, very similar to the iphones.
And the trick of passing off a cheap one for an expensive one. This is done constantly, especially if you buy on line.
Perfect example. Atomizer sprayers for sterilizing. Sold on line from $3 to $50. They wanted several at why my wife works. But which one? They had decided the more expensive ones had to be quality. She had me go through them They were, one and all, the cheap crap. I went by weight in grams, asking for shipping costs for 1 case - 12.. The quality ones have 12 volt batteries and weigh ~15 grams more. Otherwise, the crap and quality are identical.
Their counterfeiting is normally perfect, especially the packaging. But they get black listed if the import information is wrong so they couldn't hide that little detail.

Wolfram1

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
And the trick of passing off a cheap one for an expensive one. This is done constantly, especially if you buy on line.
Perfect example. Atomizer sprayers for sterilizing. Sold on line from $3 to $50. They wanted several at why my wife works. But which one? They had decided the more expensive ones had to be quality. She had me go through them They were, one and all, the cheap crap. I went by weight in grams, asking for shipping costs for 1 case - 12.. The quality ones have 12 volt batteries and weigh ~15 grams more. Otherwise, the crap and quality are identical.
Their counterfeiting is normally perfect, especially the packaging. But they get black listed if the import information is wrong so they couldn't hide that little detail.
its not quite that simple, i have put mine through hell and i have to say it holds up way better than my iphones ever have, but no i still wouldn't get another one
honestly i know the company is a state organ of china and they stole most of their tec, if not all, from both apple and the other big companies, straight up theft, which is why i will have to think very hard which company i am willing to support next, apple and huawai are both out as far as i am concerned

The Snark

Old Timer
i will have to think very hard which company i am willing to support next, apple and huawai are both out as far as i am concerned
Sis-in-law in Germany got smart buying a couple of cell phones. Not sure of the details but she had an expert with her. Didn't care about the brand, he had some criteria looking for certain details. They went to seven shops, all of which had some counterfeits or low grade parts. They finally settled on buying two Samsung S7s that were inside and out 100% factory.
Proved to be worth the trouble. The camera competes with our Nikon in quality and they both have worked flawlessly on the original batteries for over 2 years. But they also saw quite a few crap versions of the same camera.
There is some way you can tell the high quality lens from the cheap version. I can't tell the difference but that guy could in a few seconds close inspection using a loupe.

Wolfram1

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Sis-in-law in Germany got smart buying a couple of cell phones. Not sure of the details but she had an expert with her. Didn't care about the brand, he had some criteria looking for certain details. They went to seven shops, all of which had some counterfeits or low grade parts. They finally settled on buying two Samsung S7s that were inside and out 100% factory.
Proved to be worth the trouble. The camera competes with our Nikon in quality and they both have worked flawlessly on the original batteries for over 2 years. But they also saw quite a few crap versions of the same camera.
There is some way you can tell the high quality lens from the cheap version. I can't tell the difference but that guy could in a few seconds close inspection using a loupe.
interesting

Nicole C G

Arachnoangel
This thread is really long so I hope it’s ok if I just reply to the initial question?

It highly depends on what you’re photographing. For instance, to be identified, some mushrooms need a photo of the underside. But other things don’t. For jumping spiders (which is the main thing I know to photograph) here are the best things to do.

lighting must be bright, but not too bright.
Must be in focus, and be high enough quality to make out its features.
You need to get a photo of the face, of the dorsal view (top), and of the side. It’s also super helpful to get an angle somewhere in between. it’s also great but usually difficult to get a photo of the ventral view. Which can help identify if it’s an adult female. Other angles are always welcome.
For the background, a contrasting color to the spider is good. Usually a green leaf or a white background is used. D3C52945-023F-435F-B4D7-61D519EAAC14.jpeg
If you can’t get a photo of the side, try to make the dorsal a little more to the side like this

The Snark

Old Timer
I just made a discovery. The better digital cameras can turn sepia images into full color. Somewhat accurately too.
I have an old sepia photo of my daughter and I on a lawn. Using a Nikon D3400 I took a raw picture of the picture. My jeans turned blue, skin tones came out, the cabin behind us took on various shades and tones of the wood and the grass turned green. It tossed in some odd shades of red in the shadows that the sensors apparently couldn't figure out. What was a give away of synthesizing the colors was a scratch on the photo that the camera got completely confused with and colored it bright blue.

The following is the technical glurp as to how and why they do this.

"Subject to the response uniformity of photoelectric sensors, the captured raw images always have serious chroma distortions. How to determine the mapping matrix between RGB and XYZ color spaces is important for the color distortion correction. However, the commonly used algorithms cannot give consideration to the precision and the adaptability. A more reasonable mapping algorithm based on variable-exponent polynomial regression is proposed to evaluate the mapping matrix coefficients. Variable-exponent regularization with the Lρ-norm (1 < ρ < 2) combines the features of lasso regression and ridge regression methods, owning both the sparsity and smoothing properties. The optimal solution for the variable-exponent regularization is given using lagged fix-point iteration method. Data from the standard color correction experiments are used to test the variable-exponent, lasso, ridge, and least-squares regression algorithms with different polynomial regression models. The results demonstrate that the proposed algorithm has the best performance."

Last edited: