Indonesian black-tipped and Malaysian cherry-leg

Cory Loomis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've been looking for a good centipede to add to my collection of arthropods. I have over 100 tarantulas, seven scorpions, some millipedes (and even crawdads in a tank at school), but I have no centipedes. Botar has two "unidentified" centipedes that look like subspecies of Scolopendra subspinipes. Can anyone give me more information on the "Indonesian black-tipped" or "Malaysian cherry-leg" centipedes? I am mostly concerned about toxicity. The hottest things I have in the house are some Poecilotherias and a Selenocosmia, but those aren't the escape artists that 'pedes are said to be.

Last edited:

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I don't remember ever hearing of an Indonesian black-tipped centipede. Maybe someone will know what that is. I do have a Cherry-Red. I've had it over a year now and looks really healthy. I've heard over and over again that the Cherry-Red is pretty venomous. All subspinipes, like the Cherry-Red, are supposed have a pretty hot bite from what I've read. They look pretty alert to me and they are quick. I never have heard of a bite report from the Cherry-Red. A report maybe on this site. There used to be a sticky on this site on how to keep a pede from getting out. I don't know if it's there anymore but, it should be since it's a sticky.

I think crawdads rock. I found a species in Bryan TX that I've never seen anywhere else. It's a medium sized crawdad, very stocky claws, small short tail with an orange stripe down the back. I'm thinking it might be another mystery critter. I went to A&M's site and it listed 5 or 6 species in Brazos county. I've only found 2 or 3 of those unusual ones in my 35 years of net scooping in creeks and ponds and only in that creek. They ruined the creek I found them in. The colorful ones I found were females. They had babies (never many) under their tail.

Last edited:

syiware

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've been looking for a good centipede to add to my collection of arthropods. I have over 100 tarantulas, seven scorpions, some millipedes (and even crawdads in a tank at school), but I have no centipedes. Botar has two "unidentified" centipedes that look like subspecies of Scolopendra subspinipes. Can anyone give me more information on the "Indonesian black-tipped" or "Malaysian cherry-leg" centipedes? I am mostly concerned about toxicity. The hottest things I have in the house are some Poecilotherias and a Selenocosmia, but those aren't the escape artists that 'pedes are said to be.
100 species of tarantulas...great..! i kept 30 species before. but these days i'm interested in centipedes. and i only have 2 haitian giant centipedes. they are juveniles yet. (9 & 9.5cm)
i know a guy who has about 100 tarantula species and many more animals. it's hei from hong kong. maybe he is also a member of this world of arachnoboards. he is also great as you.
anyway, good to hear that..

-locke

ragnew

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I too ordered one of the Indonesian Black-Tipped from Botar (should be here Tuesday), and was wondering if anyone had any other info as well. I agree, it does look similar to the subspinipes, but more info would be great, especially regarding the strength of the venom and adult size.

The Indonesian Black-Tipped seem to be pretty rare from the sound of it, and they look really, really cool to boot!