Indian ornamental Trantula (Poecilotheria regalis)??

Thoth

Arachnopharoah
Old Timer
NeoScales, for my own edification where did you find the info for the presences of hyaluronidase in tarantula venom because the only literature I could find deals only with it being present in A.hentzi venom. There is no mention of it being present in work of Pierre Escoubas (or I could have missed it) et al who does a lot of venom characterization work. If it is truly widespread in t venom then I will concede they are potentially allergenic.

Angelarachnid, despite their close relationship there is large difference in venoms of tarantulas and "true spiders" (aranaemorphae) so that would explain your severe allergic reaction to spider bites.

As for the Tarantula Keepers guide, I'd like to know there sources for those claims.

stonemantis

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
ZooKeeper78 said:
Hi,
I am new here, I have been keeping T's for about 2 years now.
I have stuck to the more docile bigginers T's but for the last year now I have been really wanting to try a Indian ornamental Trantula (Poecilotheria regalis).
I am sure I have the knowledge to care for it but My husband is freaking out saying they are The most aggressive & Venomus T's out there 7 I have read different articles online any every one says somthing different.
Can someone please shed some light on Poecilotheria regalis for me How Aggressive & Venomus are they really, Do you reccomend me getting one?

Thanks!
P. regalis is the easiest to keep of the pokeys IMHO. If respect and caution is used then you will have a beautiful pet. However them being arboreal and OW makes them a little more nervous and aggressive than similar NW species. I would suggest reading up on the species before buying it to see if the species is for you. I have kept tarantulas for 10 years plus and never have been bit because I respect them and know what signs to look for to prevent a painful bite.

I hope this helps.

SavageDigital

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
NeoScales, for my own edification where did you find the info for the presences of hyaluronidase in tarantula venom because the only literature I could find deals only with it being present in A.hentzi venom.
Well I didn't compile a list, but here's a published analysis of Brachypelma vagans from the Journal of Venomous Animals and Toxins in 2001:

http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&pid=S0104-79302001000200033&lng=en&nrm=iso

...Aphonopelma chalcodes was also mentioned in another article. Since I don't know how extensive venom is analyzed for hyaluronidase, or more importantly how often that information is deemed important enough to make its way into published articles – I can’t suggest its pervasiveness. But I also don’t know why is would be exclusive to B. vagans and not inclusive of the entire Brachypelma genus, considering how closely connected they are.

In no way am I suggesting the presence of hyaluronidase is a big deal, pervasive or not. I point it out only to suggest that there’s no reason to take an absolutists stance on potential reactions to tarantula venom. We only differ in opinion by about 0.1%...

Last edited:

Sevenrats

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
. This is like saying a BB gun is dangerous because it is a gun. While a BB gun can do damage, it is not on the same level as a shotgun, or hunting rifle.
You'll knock your eye out, kid.{D

ZooKeeper78

Arachnopeon
Thanks Everyone you have helped me out alot, still a hard decision though.
My husband is just being a little too protective over me, as I am 5 months pregnant & I do have allergies.
I have been into T's for 2 years now & this will not be my first arborial I am in an animal Department at the zoo & have quite a bit of arachnid experience, I just dont want somthing that will attack as soon as I lift a lid to feed of water it.

Thanks!

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Bearskin10 said:
In my opinion they are not at all aggressive, a little defensive and nervous but in general more shy and laid back, there venom on the other hand is what you hear, pretty potent for a T, not gona kill you but you will know and regret being bit... I think if you have 2 years experience and are responsible than you are more than ready for a pokie just know your limits with it be very cautious and aware of where it is when you have it enclosure open and you will do fine...

And just for those of you out there wondering no I do not recommend that this species be held by just anyone as they are very fast and there bite can be quite bad... Greg

Really nothing to add, those who say that Poecilotheria are very agressive just know nothing to Poecilotheria, or they have a very stressed specimen ... This said every individu are different, and some species are more nervous then other. Personally my Poecilotheria formosa is a bit more nervous

Go for a regalis they,re a good begining into the pokie world, and they're very beautifull
Dont do this with your Poecilotheria

Last edited: